Thread: A strange question I know...

Default A strange question I know...

Hi there. I was wondering if putting my dreamcast upside down to play it could harm it. I ask you this because I want to put it under my desk upside down. By doing this could it reduce the disc spining speed, could it reduce the air flow in it or anything that could result in breaking my baby? I'm sorry if i'm not that clear but I usually speak french so I include an image!!!... not english. Anyway thanks in advance!!!

DCEmu Coder

Default Re: A strange question I know...

Well maybe it would disturb the laser focus which is made with some sort of electric magnet.

Come speak of it on the french board : http://forum.aceboard.net/index.php?login=4752

not a good idea, it would strain the laser focus or just not make it focus at all as it is held there by magnets so putting it upside down could mess it up.

try modding your DC so you could put it underneath but right way up, making it front loading wouldnt be too hard. You would have to change the bit the disc clips onto, and make a mechanism to raise and lower the laser when the disc slides in or out. Just hack apart an old CD player and you'll have most of the parts you need.

Sorry if i havent explained that very well, hope it helps

for anyone thats interested - i'm gonna make a front loading DC soon. I'll be stripping away alot of whats there to make it as small as possible but hopefully a lack of grounding plates and heat sinks shouldnt matter if i get a better fan...

I'll post how i get along and hopefully can get some pics of it in progress, i got a spare DC off eBay for only £6 inc. P+P and it should arrive soon so i'll get started soon.

I know this is a pointless project really but it should be fun and maybe i could make a tutorial of something once im done.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

sounds cool btw you got a working dc for £6 includeing p&p!! you lucky git

Ebay - the world's online junk heap!!

however i wasnt completely clear - it came with no leads or controller, and the seller said that sometimes it had problems reading disks but that is probably just in need of a lens cleaner or at worst to re-calibrate the laser strength (can you do that with DC's? I've done it to PS2's to fix them)

Do you think I should maybe write a tutorial as i go along? would somewhere like devcast.dcemulation.com put it on? they have lots of mods. Although it isnt that hard to do that it needs a tut. its just a GD rom put into a standard front-loading CD/DVD tray and then hooked up to a small circuit for the mechanism and put in a custom case.

Also any ideas of cool stuff i could do? since i'll be building a case, most likely out of clear plastic, theres alot of possibilities of other stuff. Probably put in some LED's while im there. And VGA, Stereo, A/V outputs and maybe a headphone socket on the front with a small amp to increase it from the source.
    Anything else i should add in?

I'm wondering how to attach the modem, i dont want it to clip on like normal because the white plastic would look rubbish, but i want to be able to remove it and keep the port. I suppose i could just remove the white plastic and put on clear.

Anyway, sorry for the long post i just cant wait to start when the DC gets here.

Can't wait to see some pics.

DCEmu could host your tutorial

might be a while though as im pretty busy with school but probably a couple of weeks until theres a basic body of it.

I'll post in a new topic once theres some decent pics.

Thread Information