Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Overclocked dreamcast

Default Re: Overclocked dreamcast

Well here is a different view as i dont know what things can make the dreamcast faster cause upgrading one thing may down grade another. I still think its neat for speed ups for different games that need it but I wouldnt like to keep Overclocking and then put it back to normal just to play those other games again. Unless you have other dreamcasts thats pretty neat but for people who want this done i wouldn't recommend there was reasons why Sega kept it overclocked at the speed its at cause in someways it would downgrade some games with speed decreases and a possibility of other downgrades.

Eric

DCEmu Rookie

Eric... you don't quite understand. As far as commercial games go, it shouldn't cause anything to slow down any more than normal. So you don't need to reverse it unless some compatibility issue develops. Even then, you could just install a switch, so you don't need to crack it open. Also, if he successfully overclocks the PVR as well, it should remove slowdown from any commercial releases, not just ones that are CPU bound.

DCEmu Coder

Yup, I can verify Shenmue 2 suffers from no slowdown Also I tried DC quake and it didnt drop a frame. Im going to do some fps tests in teh console to see if I can gauge any speed up tests.

Also I tried the grinch and it sometimes skips up to 60 fps and he runs in a crazy speed up manor!! *However it still runs at the std speed most of the time.

Im waiting for some devver to offer to help me with a speed test program. (Anyone)?

BTW alexvb - Speeding up teh PVR wmay help, but again slowdown may be because its drawign twice as much as the PVR can handle, And I doubt I can overclock it that much although you are right, it will hopefully speed up more titles (Ive just not had time to test that many atm, work and personal stuff is more important).

Next up is PVR and Im going to chuck in a higher crystal on teh CPU as im not gettign any overheating yet (Im runnign at 240 MHZ).

that aint to bad what kind of things need 40 mhz to run better and again any good for emulation i forget?

DCEmu Coder

Mame DC locks up. Neomame seems no quicker! maybe its locked with the PVR side of things.

DCEmu Rookie

[quote author=qatmix link=board=hardware;num=1094318646;start=30#33 date=09/10/04 at 04:18:31]BTW alexvb - Speeding up teh PVR wmay help, but again slowdown may be because its drawign twice as much as the PVR can handle, And I doubt I can overclock it that much [/quote]Well again, I was referring to commercial releases. I don't know why homebrew is reacting like it is. But I doubt there are any games that dish out "twice as much" as the PVR can handle. Think about it, would you release a game that was riddled with constant and excessive slowdown caused by trying to render TWICE as many polygons/effects as your graphics engine can handle? I find it more likely that slowdown that isn't solved by overclocking the SH4, could be resolved by overclocking the PVR a bit as well. Unless they just really botched it

DCEmu Coder

In general acessing the PVR as a "dumb" frambuffer is to put it lightly.. dirt slow to begin with, when I create a test bit of code on the PC.. well my ancient p166 laptop and use a Vesa 16bpp flat mode.. I even make the code nice.. and slow.. and portable.. it's actually able to run circles around the dreamcast in speed.
    So I guess the effect is dirt slow, to dog slow..

qatmix, give some of the SNES emuls a try, they might actually gain a bit of speed.

DCEmu Regular

Try neogeo cd with metal slug 2 tell me what happens.

DCEmu Coder

what do you type in teh console in quake to do a FPS check with the demos?

Ive tried Dreamsnes V 0.98 and its much smother (about another 25%) although I dont know how to get fps displayed. I had it running side by side with a std dc and the extra smoothnes was apparent.

does that mean more playable?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information