Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spontaneous reboot after warming up

Default spontaneous reboot after warming up

After about an hour's use - can anyone help with a possible fix or analysis?
    Confess to having used 'back-ups' at times,which could well have triggered the problem...

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

Default Re: spontaneous reboot after warming up

this is the most common hardware problem with the dc, here is a tutorial
    to fix it
    http://www.consolevision.com/members...resetfix.shtml

Blog Entries

Just incase your thinking nah, that won't fix it, i had that problem, and cleaning those prongs etc does work.

(dunno why but i feel like someone on a advert channel)
    Do me a favor plug me into a sega.

To be this good takes ages, to be this good takes sega.

It's thinking.

Ok I said it, now pay me!
    http://www.thejoypad.net
    Twitter page

After about an hour's use - can anyone help with a possible fix or analysis?
    A very common problem with the DC that sees a lot of use, just follow the steps that Darksaviour69 linked too and you should be ok.

Confess to having used 'back-ups' at times,which could well have triggered the problem...
    That has nothing to do with the problem you're having but most likely it will wear out the laser sooner or later. Before anyone says that's hogwash, I've got a DC that I used solely for so called 'backups' and it's had it's day long ago (mind you, I got it off a pirate .

It beats me why people still bother with poor quality 'backup' games when the real thing is so cheap these days.

thanks,it wasn't a hard job,quite simple,much appreciated,thanks again,coldwindetc....

DCEmu Pro

dcdaydreamer, some games can be hard to get your hands on though.

some games can be hard to get your hands on though.
    Why? someone tie your hands behind your back? ;D.

Seriously though, this is true, some games are rare (imported ones in particular) and can be difficult and expensive to get hold of.
    That is no excuse for using a copy game though.

It's nothing to do with the problem that this topic was started for, but it can damage the laser depending on the layout of the original GD contents in comparison to the generally poor 'backup' counterpart.
    There are many within the scene that would argue that they've used 'game-x' from day one and their machine is still ok, that's purely down to luck with the quality and layout of the copy. The so called 'quality' copy though is rarer than obtaining an original.

All in all, with the Dreamcast no longer in production and the majority of games avilable at reasonably cheap prices - is it really worth the gamble on the laser against a CDR that's practically worthless?

...What the heck are you talking about? TecToy in Brasil produces Dreamcast systems, ships them to Hong Kong for Lik Sang and Lik Sang sells them worldwide. It even has SEGA's permission... The only thing I hate is the TecToy logo on it and worse the PAL mode they choose and being on a PAL country, well kinda sucks after testing that system.

Yep kids, don't do drugs and don't run crappy backups on your Dreamcast. On the rest of the systems out there, I couldn't care less and I don't support or condone it. Piracy acts against SEGA were quite bad and still are as it might be yet another reason to prevent SEGA from coming back to home hardware business.

--------------------------------------------------
    Anything you did not understand talk to my lawyer in Mejico.

[quote author=DCDayDreamer link=board=hardware;num=1095908093;start=0#6 date=10/09/04 at 07:30:39]

Why? someone tie your hands behind your back? ;D.

Seriously though, this is true, some games are rare (imported ones in particular) and can be difficult and expensive to get hold of.
    That is no excuse for using a copy game though.[/quote]Indeed, that's where eBay comes in. :P

I bought myself a copy of one of the rarest games out there - the game with the lowest production of all Dreamcast games - Taxi 2 Le Jeu.

Alot of games that are rare are rare because they are awesome games and no one wants to part with them, that's not the case with Taxi 2. The game isn't too bad, but it's not one to go chasing for (like I did). :P

[quote author=Saoshyant link=board=hardware;num=1095908093;start=0#7 date=10/09/04 at 09:21:52]...What the heck are you talking about? TecToy in Brasil produces Dreamcast systems, ships them to Hong Kong for Lik Sang and Lik Sang sells them worldwide. It even has SEGA's permission... The only thing I hate is the TecToy logo on it and worse the PAL mode they choose and being on a PAL country, well kinda sucks after testing that system.[/quote]Have you actually bought one from Lik-Sang, and can personally verify that they are TecToy Dreamcasts? Lik-Sang has never stated they recieved their shipments from Tectoy, just that they are refurbished Dreamcasts in their original boxes. It seems kind of weird that they'd leave in the PAL-M format for the systems, then have them modified with a modchip for worldwide use, as the PAL-M format is only used in Brazil. Plus, all the Dreamcast systems from TecToy I've ever seen have not had a tectoy logo on the system, just on the box.

...What the heck are you talking about? TecToy in Brasil produces Dreamcast systems, ships them to Hong Kong for Lik Sang and Lik Sang sells them worldwide.
    You missed the point entirely, what I'm talking about is the fact if you have a working Dreamcast and have a choice of buying an original game or downloading a copy of it (hopefully nobody will actually pay for a copy! :P).
    Let's say I take the option of downloading a copy game and spend a few pennies on a CDR, burn it, play it (if it boots/doesn't crash/and has all the data on there in the first place). After a while my good old DC starts getting problems - trouble reading discs etc. - how much is it going to cost to get one of those nice little TecToy replacements?

What I'm talking about is weighing up the choices:

1) A few pennies on a worthless copy of a game.
    2) A few more pennies for an original game.
    3) A shed load of pennies for a new DC a lot sooner because I chose number one and not two!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information