Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast Controller Problem

Default Dreamcast Controller Problem

I'm having a major problem with my Dreamcast. When I turn it on, it won't detect my controller. What I mean by this is I press buttons the system does not respond (I'm not getting an error message saying I need to plug a controller in). I've tried both of my controllers and neither seems to work.

The weird thing is, this is my second DC. My first one was having this problem, so I bought a new one and it worked fine for a few days, then all of a sudden the controllers no longer worked. Why??

Lastly, I'd prefer not to take stuff apart because I'm probably not too good at it, but I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions on this matter.

Thanks.

DCEmu Coder

you probably burned the fuse on the controller board (maybe one of your controller is faulty since it broke a new dreamcast).

If you don't want to open the beast, then bring it somewhere to be repaired.

i am profession dreamcast repairman. and i do charge. however as a dreamcast owner i will accept dreamcast related hardware as payment. do you have and industry standard philips head screwdriver? if you do then place the console on its face. and undo the 4 screws (1 is under the internet adaptor which has to be removed.) unscrew and remove the power board get a cotton bud or q tip as americans would have it. dip slightly into a highly achololic substance and finely go over the board completle and dry it with the other end of it. do the same with the gd rom laser, the fan and the controller ports. this has to be done at least every 3 months

it is simple just take your time and place it on a table or flat surface.

DCEmu Newbie

Hi there! I searched the net to resolve my problem, but I can't find nothing. One of my DC controller got broken, the analog triggers stops working. Everything else is works fine. The controller PCB has 4 SMD fuses, but I don't know the triggers are even fused, and if they are, which fuse I have to replace? Thanks, Gabor

First off its not a blown fuse, its a blown resistor. Its easy to fix even for a novice and is a very common problem. Here is a link to a tutorial that should tell you everything you need to know, you should fix both your systems at once so you have them both out of the way...

http://devcast.dcemulation.com/mods/repair/repair.php

DCEmu Coder

no it's a fusing resistor, much more like a fuse than a resistor, this tutorial is wrong. If you use a 10 ohms resistors, your controllers may malfunction, but it's not dangerous for the dreamcast.
    second it's something else that is broken, everyting's working fine but the triggers.

Check the fuses with an ohmmeter SakmaN, they should read about 0ohms (maybe 1 or 2ohms if you've got a cheap ohmmeter).

DCEmu Coder

Is it an official sega controller ?

fusing resistor?

Interesting term...

It is a resistor that acts as overcurrent protection, sounds kinda like sega wanted to save a few buck where it could.

Ya Ive never had this happen to me so I could only dig up a tutorial.

And I was talking about Big Prof's post, Sakaman has something different.

Quote Originally Posted by semicolo View Post
    no it's a fusing resistor, much more like a fuse than a resistor, this tutorial is wrong. If you use a 10 ohms resistors, your controllers may malfunction, but it's not dangerous for the dreamcast.
    second it's something else that is broken, everyting's working fine but the triggers.

Check the fuses with an ohmmeter SakmaN, they should read about 0ohms (maybe 1 or 2ohms if you've got a cheap ohmmeter).
    If you cannot repair with another resistor, what should I repair the blown resistor with? I put in a 10 ohm just like the tutorial says, but now everytime my rumble pack vibrates, my controller loses power. I can tell since my VMU keeps beeping everytime I get hit in a game. Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information