Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial]The Quick + Easy Way To Start Developing in C/C++!!

Thumbs up [Updated Tutorial]The Quick + Easy Way To Start Developing in C/C++!!

*NOTE: Since this text is automatically formatted, there may be some spaces where they don't need to be or some other stuff. So if you see spacing like "controlle r", understand that i didn't do that on purpose and that it should be "controller".

###Changes on July 04, 2006##
    -Added Installing PSP Libs part.
    -Changed the .bat file code to improve performance, and fix some bugs.

###INTRODUCTION###

For some months now, I have been wanting to start/try developing for the PSP in C/C++. I read some of the tutorials explaining how to set up and use mingw or cygwin. Most of the tutorials were complex, and required a lot of downloading of huge files. I have dial-up, so I couldn’t really sit there all day and watch these files download. I am sure some others feel this way also. Anyways, I think that this may be one of the easiest and quickest(because of the small download sizes)ways to set up the PSPSDK, and the toolchain/compiler on a windows machine. So here we go:

###INSTALLATION###

1.) Go download the precompiled windows toolchain/compiler + PSPSDK from:
    http://xorloser.com/PSPDevWin32.zip

2.) Extract the .zip file somewhere on your hard-drive.

3.) Launch the .exe file and go through the installation. You should install the package to X:\pspdev\ where X is the letter of your hard-drive. This directory is the default setting on the installer anyways.

4.) Find your way to your x:\pspdev\ folder using the Windows Explorer. Create a new .bat file in that folder and name it whatever you want. I named mine start.bat. Next, make sure your .bat file includes the following code:

Code:
    set PSPDEV=X:/pspdev
    set PATH=%PATH%;%PSPDEV%/bin
    set PSPSDK=X:/pspdev/psp/sdk
    cmd
    5.) Delete the pspdev.bat file from your x:\pspdev\ folder. The file that we created in step 4 configures the settings for your environment. You don’t need the other pspdev.bat file that came with the package. Or you may keep it if you want. That’s up to you. :icon_wink

6.) Use the Windows search engine to search for a file called cygwin1.dll. Look at the file properties for all of the results and keep the newest one in x:\pspdev\bin\. Delete the other older files. I use the cygwin1.dll file with the build date of 2006-01-20 13:28 and it works great. If you don’t delete the other files the compiler will get an error.

7.) Now, you are done! Congrats, you have a working psptoolchain and PSPSDK along with the compilers installed on your computer.

###COMPILING AN EXAMPLE FILE###

a.) Double-click your .bat file that you created in step 4 of the installation. It should start with the command prompt saying something like this:

Code:
    C:\pspdev>set path=C:\Python24\.;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WBEM;C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WSG32\;C:/pspdev/bin;C:/pspdev2/bin;c:\pspdev\bin

C:\pspdev>set PSPSDK=C:\pspdev\psp\sdk

C:\pspdev>cmd
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\pspdev>
    Of course, instead of C it will show the letter of your drive.

b.) Type cd psp\sdk\samples\controller\basic and hit enter to go to the x:\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples\controller\basic directory.
    You should get something like this:

Code:
    C:\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples\controller\basic>
    c.) Type make and hit enter.
    You should get something like this in the command prompt and and eboot in the x:\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples\controller\basic folder:

Code:
    psp-gcc -I. -IC:/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall   -c -o main.o main.c
    psp-gcc -I. -IC:/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall  -L. -LC:/pspdev/psp/sdk/l
    ib   main.o  -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk -lc -lpspnet -lp
    spnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -lpspuser -lpspkernel -
    o controller_basic.elf
    psp-fixup-imports controller_basic.elf
    mksfo 'Basic controller sample' PARAM.SFO
    psp-strip controller_basic.elf -o controller_basic_strip.elf
    pack-pbp EBOOT.PBP PARAM.SFO NULL  \
            NULL NULL NULL  \
            NULL  controller_basic_strip.elf NULL
    rm -f controller_basic_strip.elf

C:\pspdev\psp\sdk\samples\controller\basic>
    d.) Congratulations, you just compiled a working controller sample eboot. I’ve tested this on my 2.01 PSP through the GTA exploit and it worked fine.

###Installing PSP Libs###
    Now this is the very easy part. Go download my & Whazilla's PSP Development Library Installer. Get it Here. And the rest is pretty much self-explanatory. Make sure to read the readme in the package to get a detailed list of tested/untested libs, installation instructions, etc...

###Conclusion###
    So did you like this tutorial? This is my first tutorial. Any feedback/suggestions/problems is welcome. [email protected] or [email protected]. Or PM me on the forums.

Enjoy,
    Nick/dalejrrocks

Nice new sig shadowprophet (and is that really you in your avatar?), and nice tutorial dalejrrocks.

Thumbs up yeah bro

Thanx I love my new sig, and yes thats really me in my avatar lol
    Why would I sport somones elses image as my own avatar
    lol

Now with Blast Processing! Kaiser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice Work

Stickied

Sweet. Have you guys tried this? It works fine for me and everyone else as far as I know, except for two people on PSPUpdates. They keep getting some error. I think they typed the paths wrong.

EDIT: They had some bad installs. They got it to work eventually, so the tutorial works. yay! lol

Whenever i open up my .bat files the cmd thing will pop but go away really fast. you know what the problem is? it even happens with the pspdev.bat that the package came with.

make sure that your .bat file has cmd at the end. the file that it came with doesn't. that's why the tutorial says to create your own .bat file.
    it should look like this if your drive letter is c:
    set path=%path%;C:\pspdev\bin
    set PSPSDK=C:\pspdev\psp\sdk
    cmd

thanks man!!it works gr8te.this is my start at writing homebrew.Sony be war3!

Quote Originally Posted by dalejrrocks
    make sure that your .bat file has cmd at the end. the file that it came with doesn't. that's why the tutorial says to create your own .bat file.
    it should look like this if your drive letter is c:
    set path=%path%;C:\pspdev\bin
    set PSPSDK=C:\pspdev\psp\sdk
    cmd
    O thanks that worked Rep+

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information