Thread: Tempest2000 clone, source available

Cool Tempest2000 clone, source available

Just recently, I stumbled across a download for a Tempest 2K clone called Tsunami 2010. I download it, checked it out, and its rather good. I got in touch with the author and asked him very nicely if he would be willing to part with his source code, with the view to porting it onto the PSP. After exchanging emails for a week or so, he sent the code over.
    Now coding is well beyond my capabilities, as I never got much further than simple machine code routines on my C64 and VIC20 back in the mid 80's, but if anyone would like to have a go please get in touch.
    I would love to see this ported and portable! With some game play tweeks and added music, this could be quite special.....
    Cheers
    ML

I just downloaded it......... and it is really fun! I have always liked the Tempest games, and I hope some coder out there will port this!

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

GP2X Coder/Moderator

Looking at the size of the game, I am concerned at the programming language used. Is it in ASM?

Quote Originally Posted by yaustar
    Looking at the size of the game, I am concerned at the programming language used. Is it in ASM?
    Sorry, can't tell you. If you want to have a look at it, I will make the s/c available for download tomorrow (it's on my work computer, not back in till then! )

OK everyone, here is the S/Code, if anyone would like to look at it, or have a go at porting. Please keep me up to date on progress...
    Cheers

GP2X Coder/Moderator

The source is in pascal. To my knowledge there isn't a pascal compiler for the PSP yet.

The only way to 'port' it is to rewrite it completely in C/ASM/C++/anything that the PSP supports. This isn't made any easier as there are no comments in the code that I can see.

Ever wonder where that game came from? Check out some of the demos at theprodukkt.com. Using only 64KB of memory they can create some AWESOME stuff.

Look at this one, at bit off topic but part of the same convention that spawned Tempest 2010.

96KB isn't a limit anymore......

GP2X Coder/Moderator

I remember that, it was released around a year ago. It eats a ton of memory and requires a decent PC to actually run it. Fantastic stuff regardless.

it sure does. But the code is optimized to run out of ram, and it does take ALOT of processor power to work it. But if you remove the fact that it has to run within the constraints of windows and the x86 processing environment, it really doesn't take all that much.

Thread Information