Thread: Piracy puts a stop to PixelJunk on PSP

Blog Entries

psp Piracy puts a stop to PixelJunk on PSP

PixelJunk developer Q Games has said that it's not likely to port any more games to Sony's PSP handheld due to piracy.

The PixelJunk series has been exclusive to the PlayStation Network for PlayStation 3, with the success of releases PixelJunk Monsters, PixelJunk Racers and PixelJunk Eden prompting Q Games to port a version of Monsters to the PSP.

But founder Dylan Cuthbert has said anti-piracy measures are unlikely to stop any hacking of his games, and he was shocked to discover users openly discussing piracy of Monsters Deluxe in chat rooms.

"I don't think we'll port anything else to the PSP, we have to see how [PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe] does as there's a lot of piracy," Cuthbert told fans via Twitter.

"Because Monsters is such a good fit it is being pirated I think, maybe the pirates will buy the full version out of guilt?" he added.

Asked by a fan if the company could combat piracy by adding serial numbers to code, Cuthbert said that "unfortunately the pirates could just hack those kinds of things out," and that "a PSP demo is in the works but I don't think it makes any difference to piracy."

"It was a shock to login to a [PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe] chat room and hear them talking about how they were all playing ripped versions," added Cuthbert.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...xeljunk-on-psp

Somebody call the whaaaaambulance...

Piracy is something that existed since the 8 bits day when all you needed was a C90 cassette where you would put tons of games for the spectrum and C64...

Developers always said that prices where high because of piracy and that legitimate buyers would have to pay for the piracy.

That of course, was a lie. When apparentely, the unhackable ps3 came, prices went up, not down. Thing is developers now want high price, high profit margins and no piracy. Basically they became spoiled and greedy.

Now they want it all...

In a time where digital downloads are starting to rule, even the second hand market will vanish and developers will not "loose" what they did in the past, on those trades...

Good riddance, pixelJUNK

they should be happy that their no name junk software company even has a game worth ripping

not that pirates are right, but i just think they are not looking at the right side of the coin

so yea pixel junk, just give up anytime things dont go your way, I wont miss you (hell i didnt even know you existed until today)

DCEmu Newbie

1) Not all that pirate would have legitimately bought the game. Therefore, "a lot of piracy" doesn't translate into a lot of lost revenue. (Not saying it is none, but a few people chatting about pirating it really doesn't mean much.)

2) Does he honestly think his game is being pirated more than anything else on PSP? Absolutely retarded. It's not like Minis are some awesome gaming experience. The whole freaking point of them is small and cheap. (And $20 isn't cheap, if you want to point fingers at the reason for pirating the game.)

3) And nothing of value was lost. There are better flash games.

Believe it or not, piracy is what's keep most companies in business. This is how I see it:

I find a game or movie that I've wanted to see or play for a while, but I don't have the money to get it. So, I go download it from a torrent website. I play the game or watch the movie (which ever it could be) and if I really liked it, I would save my money for it and get it. If I didn't like it, I would delete it from my computer (to free up space) and don't buy it at all

PSP Coder

Quote Originally Posted by dante221 View Post
    Believe it or not, piracy is what's keep most companies in business. This is how I see it:

I find a game or movie that I've wanted to see or play for a while, but I don't have the money to get it. So, I go download it from a torrent website. I play the game or watch the movie (which ever it could be) and if I really liked it, I would save my money for it and get it. If I didn't like it, I would delete it from my computer (to free up space) and don't buy it at all
    Piracy isn't buying things.
    They're talking about when you don't buy the thing.

DCEmu Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by dante221 View Post
    "It was a shock to login to a [PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe] chat room and hear them talking about how they were all playing ripped versions," added Cuthbert.
    lol, Try logging in to an online game on PSP. Not only are people using ripped games, but a good portion of them have a cheat device running.

Thread Information