Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games seized following murder

Blog Entries

Home/News Games seized following murder

News via Eurogamer

Notorious anti-videogames campaigner Jack Thompson has been claiming there's a link between games and violence once again after two teenagers were charged with the murder of a 55-year-old man in Louisiana.

According to 2theadvocate.com, the man was beaten to death before being shot in the face. Thompson claims that the teenagers said they killed the man because he refused to lend them his car - and Thompson believes "the same scenario [can be found in] Grand Theft Auto."

"Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hitman or a videogamer," he went on, before adding that the "pummeling" of the victim is consistent with what you might see in a violent videogame.

Police have since searched the home of one of the suspects again, seizing several games with a Mature rating - at Thompson's suggestion, according to him. Detective Spence Dilworth said he's not convinced there's a link between the crime and the games, though, stating: "I think it goes beyond videogames, but who's to say?"

The question of whether games can cause players to become violent, Dilworth went on, may be "more of a debate for the living room rather than the courtroom."

Doug Lowenstein - president of the Entertainment Software Association - was keen to play down any suggestion of a link.

"The Entertainment Software Association expresses sincere sympathy to the family of the victim of this senseless crime. But efforts by discredited anti-videogame zealots to blame video games are cynical and misplaced,” he said.

"Violent crime involving kids predates videogames. Common sense tells us that video games do not create killers and that tragedies like this have to do with far more complex issues, from deep-seated psychological problems to a society in which violence and guns permeate the culture, from TV news to child and spousal abuse to war."

its a sad story i will admit but i ahve to say i love the part where he says
    "Nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you're a hitman or a videogamer"

i agree ill bring up that quote one day.

i was thinking of making that saying my sig lol

DCEmu Newbie

what a douchebag! that is why it is harder to get mature games these days. gta is merely a scapegoat in a futile attempt to get away with murder.

DCEmu Newbie

i agree with masonman they have been using gta as a scapegoat. who in there right mind will do something like that. i bet the kids were trying to get some attention but looks like they got too much.

sigh.... its always that way they say: "oh he has a mature rated video game in his house so the videogame made him kill someone"

-.-

DCEmu Newbie

Haha I laugh at the futile attempts to blame videogames for violence. Its a sad thing, someone getting pointlessly killed. But to use that as ammo in their anti-videogame rants is just more evidence on how stupid these people are. Gta dosen't create killers, bad parenting and our warped society does. If playing Gta makes you want to kill... then put the controller down and we'll call the men in white coats for you.

I agree with everyone. by their same logic, why arent fast food restaurants blamed for making ppl fat? Cuz its not their fault!!!! neither the videogame industry!!! it is the individual who is responsible for their own actions.

By the way how come i always punch my wall when im done playing baseball stars 2? is there something wrong w/ me?

lol video games can get you pissed off i was playing a tony hawks game and i chucked a controller across the room but ive never been so mad that i got a gun and shot someone in the face thats ridiculous. DAMN YOU BOB BURNIQUIST !!! LoL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information