Thread: Review: XCM Universal USB Multi-Charger

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Reviews Review: XCM Universal USB Multi-Charger

XCM Universal USB Multi-Charger
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia / Buy from Amazon
    Price: $39.99

Overview : Finally a way to charge all your valuable electronics with one device!

Introducing the Multi-Charger from XCM. This unit will charge your iPhone, PSP (all PSP series from 1000-3000 series), Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, PS3 Wireless Controller, NDS (all NDS series, including NDS, NDSL and NDSi) and more.... (all devices using USB 5v input will be supported, such as the Nokia mobile phone series etc) with ease. No more lugging around multiple chargers, this one does it all. Made with the high quality craftsmanship you've grown to expect from the XCM brand, this charger will surely provide the power you need for many years to come!

Features:
    • 4 USB ports
    • Supports any USB 5v input
    Compatible with:
    • PSP (1000-2000-3000)
    • NDS, NDS Lite, NDSi
    • iPhone
    • Nokia mobile phones and many more
    Includes:
    • PSP USB cable
    • DS Lite USB cable
    • DSi USB Cable
    • iPod/iPhone USB Cable
    • US AC plug
    • EU AC Plug
    • Australia AC Plug
    • BS AC Plug
    Quality/Usability : I must admit, I'm a gadget freak. I have surge protectors daisy chained to each other. There just isnt enough outlets! I'm surprised my house hasnt burned down with all these wires. If I find an open slot in my surge protector, I'll charge my DS, PSP, camera battery, cellphone..thats if I'm lucky to find 1 spot. If I cant, I use my USB port on my computer. Now, my USB ports are starting to become scarce as more portable devices start to use them. Yes, you can purchase a USB hub but majority of the time, they arent powerful enough to charge the device and you get an error message on your computer. Even the ones that come with power plugs gives me an error.

XCM has released a stand alone Universal USB Multi-Charger. No need to plug this charger into a computer or USB port. Choose your AC plug and connect plug it into a socket (AC 100-240V) and the other end into the Multi-Charger. The Multi-Charger has a square glossy white casing with a small LED light that lights up when plugged into outlet and the logo on top. The logo uses a Walt Disney type font. On the front of the Multi-Charger are 4 USB ports. Since it draws its power from the socket, you wont have to worry about overdrawing power or having to wait 5 hours to fully charge a device when it should only take 1 hour or so.

The Multi-Charger measures 5 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick and comes with four (4) AC plugs (US, EU, UK and Asia). The plugs are short in length so you will not be able to place it on a table or next to your computer. Wires measure about 16 inches long from tip of plug that inserts into XCM Multi-Charger to the base of AC plug (not the prongs). Also included are four (4) USB plugs (PSP, DSL, DSi, iPhone/iPod). You're not limited to using only these devices. I was able to charge my Blackberry device, Bluetooth headset, PS3 controller, Xbox controller, USB battery, pretty much anything I can think of that uses a USB to charge the device. The charge time is about the same time it would take if you use the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) chargers that came with the device.

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM Universal USB Multi-Charger is a great product. I do not have to use all my USB ports nor do I have to leave my PS3, Xbox 360 or computer on just to charge my USB devices. Since some wall chargers are huge and can cover up an empty socket, this also eliminates the amount of wall chargers and bulk. I was able to charge all my devices without a problem. My only complaint is the lack of cord length on the AC plug for the Multi-Charger. I was not able to place the Multi-Charger on a desk. I had to place it on the floor. This is also a drawback for those who need to plug this in the back of a shelf or entertainment center. You can use an extension cord but do you want to go out and buy one or even find one in the house? The price was originally $70 but it was wayyyy to overpriced for a 4-port USB charger. But it seems XCM has lowered the price to a much more affordable price range. However, $40 is still a little pricey. I think $25-30 would be a nice sweet spot.

Images via comments

DIGG THIS
    Last edited by bandit; April 2nd, 2011 at 05:52.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

Thread Information