Thread: Dyslexia : a head start in the art and design world?

DCEmu Newbie

Default Dyslexia : a head start in the art and design world?

I'm currently researching into the debate of dyslexia with perticular focus on its connection in art and design disciplines. It's seems very much a hot topic whether or not dyslexia exsists, as it has been branded as a "middle class excuse to hide stupidity" and methods of dealing with it within universities in perticular are constantly shifting.

Yet after researching further there does seem to be a higher percentage of dyslexics in the art and design world and I was wondering if there are many designers on this forum who are dyslexic or have any views they would like to discuss.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

I'm Dyslexic and I have never heard of it being called "middle class excuse to hide stupidity". If anyone actually looks at any research is clear the the condition exists!

I really don't suffer from it too much, but I still do nonetheless.

Many times I've seen things like usernames and read them wrong until I eventually catch it out of the corner of my eye.

Acorn Electron User

I don't really know anything about Dyslexia so forgive my ignorance, but I guess since it's symptoms involve varying difficulties in reading and spelling, it seems logical to reason that those affected may end up doing more art related things in childhood because they offer ways to express themselves in a visual language rather than written language. This may be preferred and less frustrating for those with Dyslexia.

Maybe a higher proportion then go on to pursue careers in art and design in adulthood? Only guessing though.
    Last edited by beetroot bertie; November 18th, 2009 at 10:51. Reason: correcting my iffy spelling

I switch around words and read them wrong all the time!

I've never been checked for Dyslexia, but I figure most people see words wrong at least some of the time.

Thread Information