Thread: Please Help! R button thinks it's pressed, but not stuck down at all

Default Please Help! R button thinks it's pressed, but not stuck down at all

drew86 posted:

Okay I have a quick question...My R button is acting weird. It is not actually stuck. That is, it is not actually stuck in the down position. But when I play a game, let's say I'm playing GTA: LCS, the R button is the handbrake right? Well it acts like I'm holding the button down when I'm not touching it. Is this the same thing as when you talk about the "sticky shoulder buttons"? I wasn't sure since mine isn't actually pressed down but it is acting like it is. I opened it up to see if I could tell if any part of the actual button was sticking but I got nothing. It seems like an electrical problem but I really wouldn't know since I know nothing about that kind of thing. I would really appreciate it if you could help me out. Thanks a lot. Great guide by the way.
    This stuck r button also causes the guy in doom to constantly move to the right and prevents you from using the home button, and causes some homebrews to not work bc of all the key inputs they are getting.

By pressing it repeatedly, the problem goes away, but comes back again shortly the next time you use the button. Once again, the button itself doesn't look pressed down in the slightest. So it doesn't appear to be stuck down at all. But who knows maybe it is.

This actually seems to be a releatively common problem. It happened to drew86 over at lik sag, me, and I ran into 3 people over at the lik sag forums that had the same problem, and another person at the ign boards forum.

No one knew how to fix it.

Can someone please help? Has anyone else had this same problem?

Has anyone managed to fix this problem? Thanks.

DCEmu Newbie

i guess you could try to get replacement parts , but i dont know if it would be easy getting these part , and if you havent opened it up you might can try to send it back and get it repaired or replaced , sorry i couldnt help i havent had this problem , sounds terrible though.

DCEmu Newbie

If you're OK with opening the PSP up, remove the R button and see if the problem persists.. it sounds like a collapsed rubber diaphragm. taking the diaphragm out and rotating it 180' sometimes fixes the problem. (I've seen this alot with dreamcast controllers.

DCEmu Newbie

I actually have the exact same problem with my directional button Down. When I'm normally using my psp for music or something, everything's fine, but when I go into some emulators (snes or neogeo cd) it constantly is stuck down, even though the actual key isn't being pressed and didn't behave like that during normal psp menu.

I ordered a new faceplate and replacement buttons to test, and I have the same problem still. At one point I believed I solved the problem by screwing the faceplate on extra tight, but now even that doesn't work for some reason. I'll try rotating the rubber diaphram, but i'll have to force it to stay since its designed to be in a certain position.

DCEmu Newbie

*Update*

Found the solution to my problem.

Not sure if it will work the same for you guys.

The problem lied for myself (constant down thing) In the analog's microchip, and the pressure on the motherboard.

Tough to understand?

Not really, especially since I'm only 18 and have no idea how motherboards work or how to build computers.

See, the green thingy on the back of the analog (its screwed to the faceplate) had to have a certain amount of pressure on the motherboard...otherwise it constantly moved in one direction, even when the buttons were completely removed from the faceplate.

At first I was scared, thought I'd have to buy a new PSP over this, but then I kept trying things till I got it. After I unscrewed the analog chip, I pressed a specific part down onto the motherboard (where it will be pushed into when you put faceplate on) and the constant moving just stopped. I released pressure, it started again. So Basically what I'm gonna do is super glue the analog chip to there, tighten the faceplate on, and pray to God I never drop my psp.

For your R button, I'd say you probably have a similar problem, I'd take the rubber off and mess with it a little, you can actually remove the R and L buttons without opening the psp...I've done it before by accident.

I would open the PSP and make sure it is in the right place. The same thing happened to me

Thread Information