Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to forum: Coders Cables?

DCEmu Coder

Most DCs will read CDRs, so that is a prominent way of doing homebrew. Search on SBI, Self Boot Inducer, and you'll find lots of DC homebrew, including my port of Doom. CDRWs don't work, which is irritating to devs as you have to burn a lot of CDRs while testing because of that. I burned nearly 60 CDRs while testing Doom, but fortunately CDRs are really cheap. Buy them by the 100 count spindle if you plan to develop on the DC via CDRs.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

you can use CDRWs but you have to tweet the laser and that will shorten your DCs life: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/arc...hp/t-2531.html

DCEmu Newbie

I think CDRs will have to be the plan until I can afford a BBA, or a Coder's Cable appears.

I'll check out your port of Doom for sure!

The game I'm making will be cross-platform so it will mostly be a case of putting the logic into C++ syntax and optimising. Hopefully this will bring the amount of CDRs needed down to a minimum.

That is damn annoying though, all we need is a way of manufacturing the DC serial plug. I've seen there is a mod that you can replace the port with a USB port, but I'd rather not modify the DC in any way.

DCEmu Coder

My Doom conversion comes with the source, so you don't have to hunt around for it like other conversions.

I also posted an archive of my DC toolchain for linux in another thread. One thing you might find interesting is my port of libWildMidi. It's what I use for playing music in Doom, so the code will show how to use it. My Doom also comes with a really good set of instruments that aren't too big (4MB for the whole set).

I suggest tracking down as much other DC homebrew source as you can - the more examples you have, the easier your own coding will be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information