MMO developers trying to copy World of Warcraft is "definitely not the right move," says Blizzard lead producer, Shane Dabiri.

Speaking in the latest issue of PC Zone magazine, Dabiri argues that trying to emulate the success of his company's MMO isn't what gamers are looking for, and devs should try to create "innovative new MMOs". In other words, stay away from Blizzard's profits, you thieves.

"There are a lot of people that try to emulate World of Warcraft - and as flattering as that is our end it's definitely not the right move," he says.

"I know that World of Warcraft is very successful, and so people think if they were to make another game just like it they could somehow capture that audience. However, I don't think that's what players are looking for.

"Players that have invested time in WOW don't just want to do the same thing in other game - they want to try something completely new and different," he argues.

"I think the industry needs to move in that direction to come up with some innovative new MMOs that are trying really different things. Take City of Heroes - at least that's something that's not a fantasy game."

We can see his argument. Even the excellent Warhammer Online - an unashamed and well-built WoW-alike - doesn't seem to be doing that well these days.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS