Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

ps3 Review: XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0

XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0
    Manufacturer: XCM
    Site: Buy from Play-Asia / Buy from ConsoleSource / Buy from Amazon
    Price: $69.99

Overview : The famous Cross Battle Adapter now comes in a new version, 2.0, with new functions to swap all your controller's functions!

The Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is an adapter to allow you to connect your Xbox 360 wired controller to your PS3 console for use with PS3 games.

The XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is built with a new function for swapping the controller’s triggers and bumpers. You can also swap the functions of A, B, X, Y buttons (Example: Set the function of A button to the X button or set the function of B button to the Y button, etc) and swap the functions of 2 analog sticks as well! The PS3 Six Axis mode and rumble function are also supported. The best adapter in the industry just got better!

Features:
    • Compatible with ALL PlayStation consoles and models.
    • Requires the wired Xbox 360 controller.
    • Built in Rapid Fire / Turbo for each button with independant controls.
    • Easy to Use - Just Plug and Play!

Quality/Usability : This review is an update to the XCM Cross Battle Adapter. There is also a Cross Battle Adapter PLUS that supported rumble that was released after the original CBA.

Comparing the two Cross Battle Adapter, there is a big cosmetic change. The Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 comes in a purple casing with a clear purple back. The front has a big backlit LED "XCM" logo with toggle switches. Like the original CBA, the switches are for the TURBO function. Each switch is also labeled to tell you what each buttons are. For instance, the [X] button on the PS3 is the [A] button the 360. The R1 button on the PS3 is the RB on the 360.

To connect the CBA 2.0, plug the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 into the PS3 console and the LED "XCM" logo will start flashing blue. After plugging in the Xbox 360 wired controller (yes, you must use a wired controller) and the blue LED will stop flashing and stay lit.

Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 gives you the ability to use the tilt functionality. But its not what you think. There is no motion or tilt sensitivity. Instead, if you switch the TILT button to "L" on the CBA2.0, the function of the LEFT analog stick of the 360 will now replace the PS3 controller's tilt function instead of its own function. If you switch to "R", it will take the function of the PS3's tilt function. If you dont want the tilt function at all, leave it on "N". So if you have it set on "L" or "R", you lose the original function of the analog stick.

The CBA 2.0 allows you to swap buttons. You can swap the A, B, X, Y, RB, LB, RT, LT, RC, LC, START, BACK and Directional Pad. An example is to switch the A and B button. Press the "S" button and the LED indicator will light up, then press the B button and the indicator will stop blinking. When you press the A button, the light of the LED indicator will turn off. This means the swapping procedure is complete and the B button now has the function of the A. If you want the A button to have the function of the B, simply repeat the steps above but change buttons.

To get back the original button settings, simply press the "S" button and the LED indicator will light up. Press the A button and the indicator will start to blink. Press the A button again and the light indicator will turn off.

To swap analog sticks, press the "S" button and the indicator will light up. Press any direction of the RIGHT analog stick and the indicator will turn off. To get back the original function, just repeat the steps. The easiest way to get back all the original functions is to press and hold the "S" button for 3 seconds. The LED indicator will blink quickly and all functions will be set back to their original function.

Here is a video of the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 working on the new PS3 Slim:

With the lit XCM logo and "S" button indicator, swapping/remapping buttons and confirmation is much easier to notice. Like the Cross Battle Adapter PLUS, rumble is also available on 2.0.

Conclusion : Overall, the XCM Cross Battle Adapter 2.0 is a big improvement over the original Cross Battle Adapter (we didnt have the chance to review CBA PLUS since the only difference was that it had rumble available). However, I dont know how much of a use the tilt feature will come in handy. I didnt use it much considering I'm use to using the analog stick. For others they may prefer it. The swapping of buttons is a great addition which gives gamers the ability to configure button layouts to their liking. Unfortunately, you still need to use a wired controller. When I mean wired, I dont mean a wireless controller with the USB cable attached to it. This the only drawback to the Cross Battle Adapter 2.0.

Images via comments
    Last edited by bandit; March 2nd, 2011 at 15:08.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

awesome review thanks a bunch

how was the quality of the unit though?
    i mean quality of operation and not build.

meaning was there any lag? does it still have bugs?

also, if i turn the Tilt function to R (right thumb stick) does this mean that thumb stick is forever used for tilt?

or is it when the game needs tilt function, the R thumb stick then turns into the tilt, and after your done it goes back to normal?

thanks again! ive already placed my order at playasia, very excited, and i got uncharted 2!

Quote Originally Posted by lovemetal626 View Post
    awesome review thanks a bunch

how was the quality of the unit though?
    i mean quality of operation and not build.

meaning was there any lag? does it still have bugs?
    I personally did not have a problem.

also, if i turn the Tilt function to R (right thumb stick) does this mean that thumb stick is forever used for tilt?

or is it when the game needs tilt function, the R thumb stick then turns into the tilt, and after your done it goes back to normal?
    No, it is not permanent or "forever" used for tilt. When you need to use tilt function using thumbstick, you flip the switch. When you dont need the tilt at all, you flip the switch to "N"

thanks again! ive already placed my order at playasia, very excited, and i got uncharted 2!
    Thanks. Please remember to use the links to purchase your products. This will help us continuously get new products and review it.

DCEmu Newbie

Thanks for the review. I have another question though:

I once ordered the Cross Battle Adapter Plus with Rumble but unfortunately had to send it back because the thumb sticks didn't work properly in Uncharted. I was always just walking (instead of running) when moving forwards like the thumb stick was only being pressed very lightly. So I could never run in the game and only slowly walk all the time.

Has this been fixed as well? Do you own Uncharted and can test it maybe?

Default Battle Adapter Issues

I have had the same problem in metal gear solid 4 and ghost recon adv. warfighter 2, except the character slows to a walk when I push the stick in the diagonal directions (NW, NE, SW, SE). I have kept it because it works fine in other games. I assumed it was the same with all the battle adapter 2.0s but maybe I just got a bad one and should return it.

Quote Originally Posted by Korjyan View Post
    Thanks for the review. I have another question though:

I once ordered the Cross Battle Adapter Plus with Rumble but unfortunately had to send it back because the thumb sticks didn't work properly in Uncharted. I was always just walking (instead of running) when moving forwards like the thumb stick was only being pressed very lightly. So I could never run in the game and only slowly walk all the time.

Has this been fixed as well? Do you own Uncharted and can test it maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by N884Drytrip View Post
    I have had the same problem in metal gear solid 4 and ghost recon adv. warfighter 2, except the character slows to a walk when I push the stick in the diagonal directions (NW, NE, SW, SE). I have kept it because it works fine in other games. I assumed it was the same with all the battle adapter 2.0s but maybe I just got a bad one and should return it.
    It could have been a defect or a flaw in CBA PLUS. Unfortunately, I dont own Uncharted anymore. I play and trade my games on Goozex (US/EU).

I havent had any problems with CBA 2.0 thus far.
    Last edited by bandit; December 12th, 2009 at 15:12.

DCEmu Newbie

Question

Sorry to bump, but I bought one of these the other day and I want to know if I'm going crazy or not!

It all works fine mostly, however there seems to be a small but annoying acceleration issue when looking right with the analog stick. I'm hoping someone who also has one of these can check this and tell me if it's a common bug, or my unit is faulty.

Here's how to replicate (I was using Battlefield Bad Company 2 demo, but is same in other FPSs I tried):

When in a fist person shooter slowly nudge the right stick to the right (ie. spin around clock-wise), starting off just a little, then push it more and more to the far right.

THis should result in a smooth acceleration from turning around slowly to turning around quickly. However, with the Cross battle adapter there seems to be an issue where at some point it goes from turning slowly to turning around super fast, even though the stick isn't fully tilted to the right yet.

I hope that made sense. The weird thing is it DOESN'T do this when nudging the stick to the left to turn counter-clockwise!

I have checked the controller on an xbox to make sure it wasn't the controller' fault, but turning is smooth so I don't think there is any issue with the controller. Acceleration is also smooth with a PS3 controller so I know it's not the game itself.

I would really appreciate the help as I'd like to know if I should send it back for a replacement. If someone can try this out with their own cross battle I would be eternally grateful!
    Last edited by Pebkac; February 9th, 2010 at 13:19.

DCEmu Newbie

bandit -
    Do you know if the trigger function is analog or digital? Basically, when I press lightly on my Xbox 360 controller's trigger, does the PS3 register a light press? Or is it full all the time? Thanks.

very well, i do like it!

Quote Originally Posted by sturmen View Post
    bandit -
    Do you know if the trigger function is analog or digital? Basically, when I press lightly on my Xbox 360 controller's trigger, does the PS3 register a light press? Or is it full all the time? Thanks.
    Digital

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information