Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Definative firmware guide

psp Definative firmware guide

Over the past months I have seen people ask what features came out in what firmware and when did they come out so I have descided to compile a definative to the PSP firmware.

PSP SYSTEM SOFTWARE HISTORY

PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) System Software Update History.

System software ver 2.71

• The PSP now supports the europian location free player and has added an eTV feature
    • You can now download Game demos from the web browser

System software ver 2.70 (25th april 2006)

Network
    • (internet browser)now supports macromedia flash contents playback *you need to enable the flash contents playback by system settings. *the macromedia flash player version is flash player 6.0 (a part of the functions is not supported).
    • The settings of the (internet browser) has been added into (settings) -> (connection settings)
    • The audio contents from channels in the (RSS channel) section now can be saved into the memory stick.
    • (auto) option added to (rate change) in (location free player)

Music
    • Added file extension to playable AAC format.
    • You can now drop pictures in folders album folders for the album picture instead of embeding it in the track.

Settings
    • Added [Enable Flash Player] in [System Settings].
    • *To change this option, you need to connect to the internet.
    • "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" added to [System Settings] -> [System Language].
    • Added [RSS Channel Settings].
    • Added [UMD video L & R Button] into [Video Settings].Sonys firmware timetable
    • Other
    • Fixed some issues when using a memory stick with more than 2GB free space.
    • *This problem has not happened among the memory sticks sold in Japan until april 24th.
    • you can now play downloaded demos on your psp.
    • You can download 2.70 from our downloads page here

System software ver 2.60 (29th November 2005)

Network

• Revisions to strengthen security have been added
    • [LocationFree Player] has been added as a feature under [Network]
    • [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar
    • [Text Size] and [Display Mode] settings of the [Internet Browser] can now be saved
    • The input history of online forms accessed through the [Internet Browser] can now be
    • [Volume Adjustment] has been added as a feature to [LocationFree Player]
    • You can now download video data that supports copyright protection using the [Internet Browser
    • [RSS Channel] has been added as a feature under [Network]
    • [Simplified Chinese (GB18030)] and [Traditional Chinese (Big5)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar

Video
    • Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video data saved on the memory stick)

Music
    • WMA has been added as a codec that can be played under [Music]. (This applies to music data saved on the Memory Stick)

Settings

• [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings]
    • WPA-PSK (AES) has been added as a security method under [Network Settings]
    • Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard

system Software Ver. 2.50 (October 13, 2005)

Network
    • [LocationFree™ Player]* has been added as a feature under [Network].
    • [Auto-Select] and [Unicode (UTF-8)] have been added as options to [Encoding] under [View] in the [Internet Browser] menu bar.
    • Settings for [Text Size] and [Display Mode] in [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
    • The input history of online forms accessed through [Internet Browser] can now be saved.
    • *Use of the LocationFree™ Player feature may not be supported in all countries and regions. Depending on where you live, the LocationFree™ Base Station may not be available for purchase or use. Certain models of the Base Station are not compatible with the PSP™ system. For details, visit http://www.sony.com/locationfree/ownerslounge/psp

Video

• Copyright-protected video can now be played under [Video]. (This applies to video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
    • For details, contact the video content provider.
    • Note that fees may be charged to obtain or use copyright protected video.
    • Downloadable copyright-protected video may not be available in all countries and regions.

Settings
    • [Set via Internet] has been added as an option to [Date and Time] in [Date & Time Settings] under [Settings].
    • [WPA-PSK (AES)] has been added as a security method under [Network Settings].
    • Korean input mode has been added to the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 2.01 (October 3, 2005)

Settings

• A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System Software Ver. 2.00 (August 24, 2005)

Network

• An Internet browser has been added.

Video

• 4:3 Screen Mode has been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).
    • Go To feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO and UMDMUSIC).
    • A-B Repeat feature has been added (for UMDVIDEO, UMDMUSIC and video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
    • Audio options have been added (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).
    • MP4 (AVC) has been added as a playable file format (for video saved on Memory Stick Duo media).

Music

• The combination of SonicStage version 3.2 (or later) and PSP system software 2.00 (or later) has made it possible for music files in ATRAC3 plus format to be transferred to a Memory Stick PRO Duo
    • MP4 (the audio codec for MP4 format audio files is MPEG-4 AAC) and WAV (Linear PCM) have been added as playable file formats (for music saved on Memory Stick Duo™ media).

Photos
    • Wallpaper feature has been added.
    • Image transfer feature has been added.
    • TIFF, GIF, PNG and BMP have been added as viewable file formats.

Settings

• Korean has been added as a system language in [System Settings].
    • [Character Set] has been added in [System Settings].
    • [Theme Settings] has been added.
    • [Internet Browser Start Control] has been added as a security mode in [Security Settings].
    • WPA-PSK (TKIP) has been added as a security mode in [Network Settings].
    • Web address shortcut feature has been added as an input mode for the on-screen keyboard.

System Software Ver. 1.52 (June 15, 2005)

Music
    • UMD™MUSIC can now be played under [Music] in the home menu.

Settings

• Security for the system software has been strengthened.

System Software Ver. 1.51 (May 18, 2005)

Settings
    • A patch has been added to address a security vulnerability in the system software.

System software ver. 1.50 (march 2005)

Game

• play games in UMD format
    • game sharing (for supported games)
    • save games on Memory Stick
    • copy savegames to another Memory Stick
    • delete savegames from Memory Stick

Video

• watch video in UMD format
    • watch video saved on Memory Stick
    • control panel with audio, angle, subtitle, volume, screen mode, display, chapter, fast forward and reverse, slow, frame advance, repeat, play, pause, and stop controls
    • remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, menu, stop, chapter, fast forward and reverse, and slow functions

Music
    • play music in UMD format
    • play music saved on Memory Stick
    • play tracks in Group Mode (from Memory Stick when groups were configured on a PC)
    • control panel with previous and next group, previous and next track, fast forward and reverse, play, pause, stop, and group mode controls
    • remote control and system buttons can be used for play, pause, stop, skip, and fast forward and reverse functions

Photo

• view photos in jpeg format (saved on memory stick)
    • control panel with view mode, display, help, zoom in and out, rotate left and right, move up/down/left/right, previous and next image, and slideshow controls
    • remote control and system buttons can be used for slideshow, zoom, previous and next, rotate, and move functions

Settings

• network update (update firmware via wi-fi)
    • USB mode (for connecting to a PC)
    • video settings (UMD menu, audio, and subtitle language)
    • photo settings (slideshow speed)
    • system settings (language, nickname, format memory stick)
    • date and time settings (set date and time, adjust for dayight savings time)
    • power save settings (auto backlight shut off, sleep mode)
    • sound settings (automatic volume limiter system, key tone)
    • security settings (password, parental control)
    • network settings (WLAN)
    Benh = Coder, main language C other language LUA

Check out my first C app Super - flasher here

visit my dev site where you can download all of my coding projects - http://benh-pspdev.bravehost.com/

Please visit my site www.pspfanatic.bravehost.com
    and join the forums

please feel free to make comments

visit my dev site where you can download all of my coding projects - http://benh-pspdev.bravehost.com/

and join the forums

hmm this is intresting... but i dont agree with your sig!

sony are a big huge company who make millions every week through selling their goods, and they expect you to play 30-45 pounds for a umd disc... and when you can get them for free, at the end of the day they dont loose anything!

now if it was a small company, who wernet making anything near to what sony do, then i would agree with you!

good point

and join the forums

DCEmu Rookie

nice !

but could u add a lil bit about 1.0?
    i wonder why there are still ppl on 1.0.

ok i'll research it now

and join the forums

sorry I cant find anything on firmware 1.0 no sites seem to have anything about it, I'll add it if i do find anything, lets just say 1.0 is everything that was on the psp before fw 1.5 came

BTW maybe this could be a sticky thread

and join the forums

Arrr I hate sony why don't they allow homebrew instead of making all these updates??

mat_dizzy, benh, you both come off as a couple of gits.

FIRSTLY: ISO piracy hurts everyone, not just Sony, so there's no good justification for it. If you think there is, not only are you an utter moron, but this site is not for you. Pro-ISO posts are heavily frowned upon, and if continued will cause you to be banned. If you feel like tempting this, then do everyone a favor, cut out the middle man, and just stop posting immediately.

SECONDLY: This is a useless thread. All benh has done is copy and pasted this text from Sony's official website, so a link to those pages would've been much preferable to this long-arsed, word-for-word regurgitated information clogging of up the front page. Besides, PSP-News has a dedication to citing it's sources, and this post boldly violates that cardinal rule.

THIRDLY: to pepegomez: as this was just copy and pasted from Sony's website's info on the history of firmware update details, benh cannot add the info on 1.00 -- it was never an update. However, to answer your question, 1.00 was severally limited. From what I've read, it only came with Japanese and English as selectable system languages. The one and only major advantage to 1.00 (and you wouldn't find this on an official Sony list even if it was available) was it's ability to natively run unsigned code without any hacks or tricks. There was absolutely nothing preventing homemade code from being run on those systems, so it is the hands-down "purest" environment for PSP homebrew. As to why people are still on it: everyone's got their own reasons. Staying at 1.00 certainly has it's drawbacks since anything that can be run on 1.00 can be run on 1.50 (the reverse isn't always true however), but there's deffinately something special about knowing you have a 1.00 system. Currently, there aren't many people who can say that, even fewer still that can claim to have a factory virgin model.

while the info is usefull to some, it does take the front page up..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information