Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Biggest Threat to the PSP Homebrew Scene Is Coming - Sonys PS1 Emu

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by John Vattic

****the sound of thousands of emo kids screaming as i update my psp without reconsideration.
    First off, who the **** said any of us were emo? You want to update, go ahead. But keep insults to yourself asshole.

and to sony agents undercover at dcemu:-> this ps1 emu idea can really make or break the psp's future. it would be wise not to get too greedy and charge both for the emu and the games. build the emu into the psp firmware and charge a nominal amount for rehashed games(15usd or less) and you will be most successful.
    Secondly, 15 dollars is far too much. 2 dollars perhaps fits.

overcharge and you will watch the psp die. remember most psp users are not aristocrats or yuppies and are not made of bottomless wells of money.
    You're right, we're not those things, we're emo.

Now onto my actual post. By your statement quoted above, your complete lack of punctuation or proper grammar, I will disregard your opinion wholly(after refuting some of your assinine statements), and deem it totally unintelligible for the safety of the rest of the community.

The PS1 emu will not 'kill' the homebrew scene. IF anything it will strengthen it. After the PS1 emu comes out and people are fed up having to buy the games they already own, enough developers will get onto making a good one for the PSP (perhaps through cracking the Sony made one; perhaps not).

Many people will probably update for the PS1 emulator, but most of the dedicated homebrew users wont.

DCEmu Legend

Sorry for double posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Anunnaki
    I'm an older gamer. 36 to be exact. My first system was Pong, then Atari 2600. Had a C-64, NES, SNES, N64, , Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Playstation, Playstation2, XBOX, Dreamcast, Amiga, PC and now PSP. I've spent countless hours playing videogames and look forward to playing countless more. I will be a videogamer until then end.
    With the introduction out of the way I have a few thoughts/comments to various comments in this thread.

"I fully support homebrew"
    How? What are you supporting? Do you donate money to the author of the program? I'm curious how much money each homebrew creator has made. Sounds like a poll should be made to find out

"Sony Wants Your Money"
    This is really a revelation. Imagine a company who sells a product that wants your money. Sounds SCI-FI to me.

"I'm sticking to 1.5"
    Doing so and not buying new PSP software does not support the PSP. I'm not sure how large the homebrew community is but every software sold helps the PSP. If a developer support starts to weaken for the PSP then new software may not be released (which will upset me) and there may never be a PSP2. Sticking to 1.5 you will miss out on some great future PSP games. I've recently bought Burnout, Monster Hunter Freedom and Field Commander. All three of them are great.

I am looking forward to the PS1 emulator from Sony. Some of the announced launch titles are going to be great on the PSP. FF VII and Castlevania:SOTN! So many other great PS1 titles will be a perfect fit on the PSP but I will restrain myself from creating a list.

For it to succeed I would hope the emulator is free. Then triple A titles should cost no more than $9.99. Lesser titles should be sold between $4.99-$7.99.

What would be really cool but I doubt Sony will consider it. I'm not sure if any one remembers the Black PS1 Sony released way back then to the general public. It allowed PS1 software to be developed. This would be a neat feature to offer with the PS1 emulator. Then games could be made, uploaded to the Sony site for sale. Such games could be sold for .99-$1.99. Sony could then run contest, for example run a contest for the best RPG made.

Anywho, I look forward to getting flamed.

Vincent D. Brumback
    You have made some great points. However, with homebrew we have limited support of higher firmwares (possibly capable of playing such games as Field Commander).

Also, with the modchip and downgrader its possible to play the games of the new firmwares and go back to 1.5 if desired. As well, with kernel support on 2.6, many more homebrew apps can be made for the PSP that are as multifunctional as ones for 1.5

Personally, I'd hate to see PS1 roms being sold for anything higher than 5 dollars. Thats just not fair for the consumer, having paid 40 dollars for it new when it came out, then having to shell out 10 dollars for it for the PSP?

Sony obviously cannot make money without doing this, but Sony has severely shafted us all with the PSP. All products for the PSP, that heighten the experience, all of which are costly, they handed out to 3rd parties, whom made them very cheaply.

There is no reason for Sony not to make a theater, speaker and subwoofer stand for the PSP and sell it for 60 dollars, using quality parts and fitting the design scheme of the PSP exactly. You know how many people would buy that? Plus, thats something that can be made inexpensively and be sold for higher profits.

The quality of the games for the PSP is inexcuseable. Of the hundreds of games currently out for the PSP, maybe a handful are worthy of their price tag. Sony is jockying us around and thats why I am happy to have homebrew.

When I step into a game store and see the new PSP game releases, I just think of how many homebrew games I could play, that would give me the same amount of fun, yet cost me nothing and obviously I leave empty handed.

Sony has been 'informed' of this problem since month 1 of the PSP's life. Gaming magazines stepped up and reported that Sony needs to get their head on straight and start producing quality games.

Finally, they have begun to listen a little. But the release of a PS1 emu, seems to indicate, at least to me, that Sony is really suffering and that they need to resort to releasing older, time tested and respected games to get the PSP out of the rut that it is in.

Agreed, F9zDark.

DCEmu Regular

haha about the emo thing.. emo's are so stupid hahaha. but i got 2 psps so i would for 1 of them. but otherwise i would stay loyal to the scene.
    LONG LIVE HOMEBREW!

security updates

i love homebrew........and tacos

i find sonys retail games for the psp to be boring .
    and been there done that ,for like 10 years
    with the ps1 and pc games ,so they have failed in that

and i wouldt pay more than 2 bucks a piece for an old ps1 rom to play in my psp ,who would? probably not even that much .maybe for the ones i liked

the psp should try to be more creative and out of the box it sucks ,i think homebrew will save the psp

i dont think there ps1 emu will mean much to anyone unless they do something real real
    cheap and over the net .

man homebrew and tacos.
    its like pussy and pizza

reading those last rants you think your were
    on boxtorrent forums .i was like what the

I have patience and will not upgrade past 1.50. Hopefully 2.60 gets cracked wide open with the new kernel exploit and can be made to run like a 1.50. Then I would upgrade to 2.60 for the functionality of that OS. However with Devhook and 2.50 running off the memory stick I have no need or desire to upgrade at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilds73
    I have patience and will not upgrade past 1.50. Hopefully 2.60 gets cracked wide open with the new kernel exploit and can be made to run like a 1.50. Then I would upgrade to 2.60 for the functionality of that OS. However with Devhook and 2.50 running off the memory stick I have no need or desire to upgrade at this time.
    I agree! I have an unmolested 1.5 and Id like it stay that way!

As an aside... Whats all this "emo" s**t? This is supposed to be a COMMUNITY! It doesnt matter if you like wearing wellies, a bow tie and a ra ra skirt its supposed to be a joining of minds persuing a common interest! (Im not wearing the wellies at the moment by the way!)

Back on target... Im sure someone will crack the PS1 games $ony release and will make a free emu for all us 1.5ers!

It depends. I would rather have two PSP's. One pure homebrew, one kept upto date for this kinda stuff. I will no pay for roms what ever their planning on calling them though. I own hundreds of PS1 games and see no valid reason to buy them again for my PSP.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread Information