Thread: CollecTic - WIP News

Blog Entries

psp CollecTic - WIP News

New game coming soon that sounds great, heres the info:

CollecTic is a game by Jonas Hielscher

The game CollecTic is developed as a part of my graduation project for the Masters program Media Technology at Leiden University in 2006. The game is developed for the Sony PSP and uses the standard features of the console, especially scanning for wireless access points to the Internet.

The game concept

CollecTic can be played anywhere, where WLAN access points can be found by a PSP. The objective of the game is to search for different access points, to collect them and to combine them in a puzzle in order to get points. In the game, the player has to move around in her/his local surrounding, using her/his PSP as a sensor device in order to find access points. By doing this, the player is able to discover the hidden infrastructure of wireless network coverage through auditive and visual feedback.The game is designed as a single player game, but it can be easily played competitive after each other or at the same time with two PSPs.

Finding and collecting access points
    If the PSP receives a signal of a wireless access point, the point will be visualized as a geometric figure (square, triangle or circle) with a specific color and size. The form and color are defined by the unique Media Access Control address (MAC address) of the access point. The size of the form is determined by the signal strength of the access point. If a player wants to collect a bigger form s/he has to come closer to a spotted access point. All visible figures are starting to blink and to play a sound after each other. The length of time a figure blinks, depends on the strength of the signal. The kind of sound depends on the form and color: the form determines the waveform of the sound (sine, triangle or square wave); the color determines the note (frequency) of the sound. If the player presses the button corresponding to the figure that lightens up, s/he collects the figure, meaning the access point. The collected shapes will be placed in the big black square on the screen. During the game, an access point can only be collected once. So, in order to find new access points the player has to move around.

The puzzle in the black square
    The collected figures in the black square can be arranged in a grid of three by three. If a maximum amount of nine shapes is collected, or if the player presses the x button, the grid will be checked for three equals in a row. The rows will be checked for same shapes and same color. Combinations of same shape, color and size give extra points. Several equal rows at the same time will also give extra points (Combo bonus).

More info --> http://www.pixelsix.org/collectic/#download

looks cool, but i dont have any access points around, (small town he he)

this sounds CRAZY
    but fun
    will try it later

idk but it might be fun if u live in a big city. i live in a small town but just think u could just drive through town on the back roads and if u found one u could just sit there and use the wifi if u dont have one at home.

yeah, i need to get one of those wifi things that go into the usb, that would be friggin sweet

Quote Originally Posted by saocore
    this sounds CRAZY
    but fun
    will try it later
    Off to my nearest estate to see how this works out!

DCEmu Regular

Hey, I wanted to try an make a PSP app for my final project at college... I wasn't allowed though, lucky!

I think my lecturers might have been concerned about legal issues or something like that... oh well.

I will download this game, it sounds interesting, specially the wifi access.

It has scanning for wifi access points included. I was trying to do that in my program but I couldn't understand how to use the functions.
    Anyone know where I can find information on how to use them?

DCEmu Newbie

i live in a $#@!ty scottish commuter town and there's hundreds of hotspots about since aol are doing free wifi routers in the uk now!

souds like an ace concept by the way... especially altering the size of the shapes depending on signal strength... just make sure you don't end up in some chav's back garden cluching your shiny new psp

DCEmu Newbie

I'm gonna hit every Starbucks in Los Angeles!

Thread Information