Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sony defends PSP ad following accusations of racism

Blog Entries

psp Sony defends PSP ad following accusations of racism

News Via Gamesindustry

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Computer Entertainment has defended itself against accusations of racism over a controversial advert for the new 'Ceramic white' PSP.

The advert, which has appeared on billboards in the Netherlands, shows a white woman gripping a black woman by the jaw and features the slogan: "PlayStation Portable White is coming." Many websites and forum posters have protested that the advert is racist and are campaigning for its removal.

A Sony spokesperson has responded by stating that the ad does not have a racist message and that is part of a wider marketing campaign, telling GamesIndustry.biz: "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Benelux focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model."

"A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland."

According to the spokesperson, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose."

It seems the controversial ad is unlikely to appear outside Holland, with a representative from Sony's UK office telling GI.biz: "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK."

DCEmu Newbie

here's what the actual advertisment looks like.....it is a bit.....controversial

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kleiobi.../pool-kakadoo/

DCEmu Regular

Somehow i doubt there would of been any trouble if it was the other way around.
    Its just PC nutters got nothing better to do.

well, if it's black people that don't like it, then I'd say take it down. if they don't care, why should anyone else?

are you people bloody mad?!?
    How on earth did they think this is a good idea! It is quite obviously not meant to be racist but I can see how it is percieved that way.

If it were the other way round it would be just as offensive. Showing any kind of racial violence in an ad campaign is very very low. Why couldn't it just be someone holding a black psp and someone holding a white psp? Sony specifically chose to pick a white person to be throttling a black person. Makes me sick, shame on you Sony.

Also it doesn't matter if black people find it offensive or not, I do and i'm white. It's not only black people that find racism offensive.

..That is pretty disgusting, I can't believe it got as far as being put up

thats hardly offensive, for once i see it sony's way. white is the new 'fashion'... everything seems to be white but black is never out of fashion and will prevail, im guessing the next poster will be of the black woman standing over the white woman. anyway saying something is racist is as racist and the thing you are saying is racist (work that 1 out) :P

lol to the thing in bold.... it means that if you look at something and say it is racist then you have noticed a differant colour skin therefore making you racist!!! its all just political correctness gone wrong!!!

touché...

i find it funny, i wouldn't know what racism even is if it wasn't continually drummed into my brain from early childhood.

"black people aren't the same as you, but you shouldn't say that."

Stop saying it then!

I don't think racial awareness is really necessary. If you take the time to analyse the advertisement it makes a lot of sense.

Black woman represents black PSP, white woman for the white one (obvious).
    The white woman is bigger than the black woman, shows the white PSP as being better than the black one. This has no relation to race, its simply a matter of contrast in colour/size.
    The background is coloured entirely black making the black woman less visible and enhancing the white woman which further implies how much better the white PSP is.

If people don't stop whining about political correctness when people are used to show contrast then racism will go on indefinitely.

DCEmu Regular

if that black person was forced into being into that photo then it probally qualifies as racism. but since it was probally out of they're own will, then its not. or the black person is racist, agaisnt her own race

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information