Prepare to pick out your uniform, christen your starship, and boldly go where only closed beta participants have gone before, as Cryptic launches the open beta test for Star Trek Online.
It feels like only yesterday that Cryptic was revealed as the developer of Star Trek Online. The game was officially announced in July of 2008, and here we are, a year and a half later, kicking off the open beta with the game's release a mere month away. Fans who have preordered the game can now use their codes to enter the open beta, with FilePlanet handing out the beta keys to its subscribers. The beta runs from now until January 26th.
"We are thrilled to give open beta access to fans as we draw nearer to the official release of Star Trek Online," said Craig Zinkievich, Executive Producer on Star Trek Online. "We are looking forward to the launch of our first-of-a-kind MMORPG with anticipation and excitement and we expect Star Trek Online to explode onto the scene, giving fans and gamers a Star Trek experience like no other."
I've been participating on and off in the closed beta, and so far I've liked a lot of what I've seen, especially where ship-to-ship combat is concerned. While I'm not completely sold on away-team missions yet, some of the more creative examples I've encountered have shown promise.
You don't need to take my word for it any longer, as long as you're a FilePlanet subscriber or have pre-ordered the game. Stay tuned to the game's official site for more opportunities to score a beta key.

</img> </img> </img> </img>

More...