Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unreal Engine

Default Unreal Engine

Say, I was just thinking about how many people have not been able to get 3D games to the DC, but has anyone tried to license the Unreal Engine from Epic Games? Supposedly they lisenced the source code for porting to the Dreamcast although I am not sure if they still do. Maybe this is something someone can look into....

http://www.epicgames.com/licensing.html

DCEmu Regular

Default Re: Unreal Engine

You know that cost a assload to do right. Plus unreal 1 is very primitive and the scene could probably write a better engine in this day and age.

Dream Coder

Not true. In terms of 3D we are still in the stone age. The best 3D coder in the scene (iirc) was Trilinear and hes off working making commercial games now.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

iris is a good wee 3d engine

[quote author=Hola link=board=Dev;num=1091550991;start=0#1 date=08/03/04 at 11:57:38]You know that cost a assload to do right. Plus unreal 1 is very primitive and the scene could probably write a better engine in this day and age.

[/quote]

we arnt talking about unreal 1, we are talking about unreal tournament. YES I KNOW THEY USE THE SAME ENGINE! It isnt about the engine so much as it was about the hardware that existed at the time of their releases. the unreal engine would probably push on the DC pretty hard. the Unreal Engine is a very powerfull engine and it was used for quite a few games.
    I doubt anyone will write a engine better than that for the dc from the homebrew scene.

DCEmu Regular

Actually I was talking about unreal 1 but I then decides to read there liscening and its extremly interesting. You dont actually get just one engine you get everything they've made thats unreal related. You get to choose weather or not you wanna use the newest or a older. So its always gonna be extremly expensive because you always have to pay for the newest unreal engine.

but the cost must be alright for enough of the DC development community, because they put so much work into their ports, and homebrew games. I'm sure one dedicated dc dev site will fund the unreal liscence and make a decent amount of games. It has been said by DC developers at one time, that a single DC game can be made in a single month with a small team....

I think its possible to do it... but it isnt going to happen. If people really were interested in it though, Unreal's Engine really is the way to go.

DCEmu Regular

You know lisceings is like in the 100 thousands right. You find me some DC fans willing to pay that and I'll find you some coders wanting to work with it.

Dream Coder

You people all do know that Unreal Tournament was released on the DC right? It obviously dosnt push the hardware to the max...
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information