Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.1.2

psp NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.1.2

Another incremental NEOGEO emulator update from NJ.

Massive thanks to the awesome b8a for his translations

Originally Posted by NJ

NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.1

NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/)

[Overview]

This is a NEOGEO (MVS/AES) emulator for the PSP. Since the PSP memory is too limited, it's a stretch to run large sized games, but I think pretty much all of the games work.

Directory Setup

All of the directories are automatically setup the first time the program is launched.
    /PSP/GAME/
    |
    +- NGEPSP/ (root directory)
    | |
    | +- EBOOT.PBP NEOGEO Emulator binary
    | +- ngepsp.ini software config file (create by emulator)
    |
    +- cache/ (directory for sprite cache file)
    | |
    | +- mslug_cache.zip (example: Metal Slug)
    |
    +- config/ (directory for key config file)
    |
    +- memcard/ (directory for memorycaard)
    |
    +- music/ (directory for play list (sound test))
    |
    +- nvram/ (directory for SRAM)
    |
    +- snap/ (directory for screen shot)
    |
    +- roms/ (put BIOS and rom files here. (zip compressed)
    | |
    | +- neogeo.zip (NEOGEO BIOS)
    | +- samsho.zip (example: Samrai Spirits)
    | +- ...

-It's nessecary for all of the ROM image files to be compressed to zip files. Other than the fact that it can't handle files that span folders, it's basically exactly the same as MAME. Also, it does not support ROM sets that MAME doesn't support.

-Collect the BIOS in a file called neogeo.zip, and place it inside the roms folder.

-It is nessecary that the zip file names for every game "Exactly match the ROM set names of MAME 0.106".

-It doesn't matter what the ROM file name is for any of the games, but it is nessecary that the "CRC matches MAME 0.106's ROM set's CRC".

-This supports uni-bios, hack BIOS, etc... but, as a basic rule I don't recommend their usage. It's possible that certain games may not run.

Controls

*The BIOS setting screen is displayed by pressin the L trigger when in the file browser. Pleas launch your game after you have "Made sure to have set this setting first". Should you get the error message "ERROR: CRC32 not correct. "Europe MVS (Ver. 2)"", this is not set correctly.

-Other than the when running a game and when at the main menu, I've made it so that in all of the menus control help is displayed by pressing the R trigger. If there's something you don't understand, press the R trigger. I'm sure you'll understand once you've seen it, so I'll limit the details.

-The menu for changing games settings, etc... is displayed by pressing the L trigger while a game is running.

About Japanese Resource File

-The included de-compressable file, "resource_jp.zip", is used for a portion of the menus to diplay Japanese. Only copy this file to the ngepsp folder if you wish to display Japanese.

About The Track List For Use With The Sound Test

-The format is as follows.
    If you use a Japanese resource file, the track names can also be displayed in Japanese.

$title: Enter the game name to be displayed in the title bar.
    $pre: Enter a 2 digit bank 16 base number, etc.. to be added before the playback command. For most games, "07" should be fine.
    $stop: Enter a code used to stop playback of the track as a 2 digit 16 base number. I think that for most games, entering "03" for the reset code, and "20" for the stop code should work fine.
    $start: Declares the beginning of the track list.
    $end: Declares the end of the track list.

The track list should be entered between $start and $end. Please don't enter blank lines or comments. The processing is pretty rough so it'll freeze. The format is, after the 2 digit 16 base number, the track name is written in between to half-width space characters.

Example)
    $title=Metal Slug
    $pre=00
    $stop=03
    $start
    02 Neo Geo Logo
    2b The Military System
    2c Nazca Logo
    $end

Incidentally, a large portion of the included track list was made by referencing Mame E2J's Bridge M1 list.

Miscellaneous

-A memory card file is created for each game. Also, the memory card is in a constantly recognized condition.

-The games below run in MAME, but are unsupported in this emulator.
    svcpcb SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom (JAMMA PCB)
    kf2k3pcb The King of Fighters 2003 (Japan / JAMMA PCB)
    mslug3b6 Metal Slug 6 (Metal Slug 3 bootleg)
    cthd2003 Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 (The King of Fighters 2001 bootleg)
    ct2k3sp Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 Super Plus (The King of Fighters 2001 bootleg)
    kf2k2pls The King of Fighters 2002 Plus (set 1, bootleg)
    kf2k2pla The King of Fighters 2002 Plus (set 2, bootleg)
    kf2k2mp The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus (bootleg)
    kf2k2mp2 The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus II (bootleg)
    kof10th The King Of Fighters 10th Anniversary (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kf2k5uni The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary 2005 Unique (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kf10thep The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Extra Plus (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kof2k4se The King of Fighters Special Edition 2004 (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    ms5plus Metal Slug 5 Plus (bootleg)
    kf2k3bl The King of Fighters 2003 (bootleg, set 1)
    kf2k3bla The King of Fighters 2003 (bootleg, set 2)
    kf2k3pl The King of Fighters 2004 Plus / Hero (The King of Fighters 2003 bootleg)
    kf2k3upl The King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus (The King of Fighters 2003 bootleg)
    svcboot SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom (MVS) (bootleg)
    svcplus SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Plus (set 1, bootleg)
    svcplusa SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Plus (set 2, bootleg)
    svcsplus SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Super Plus (bootleg)
    samsho5b Samurai Shodown V / Samurai Spirits Zero (bootleg)
    lans2004 Lansquenet 2004 (Shock Troopers - 2nd Squad bootleg)
    ms4plus Metal Slug 4 Plus (bootleg)

What's changed

ver.0.1.2

-Since there was a possibility that the stack would be corrupted by a portion of the menu, I've fixed it. It was a minor fix, but since it was on the dangerous side, I've updated it.

ver.0.1.1

-Fixed an issue with not being able to open the BIOS select screen after playing a game once.

-The first time this version is launched, all of the config and nvram files are deleted. (I should have done this with 0.1, but I forgot to set it)

ver.0.1

Now the official release. There won't be frequent updates as there have been previously. I won't be adding new features, from here on my work will probably consist of fixing bugs and on improving performance.

-Changed the watchdog emulation. A reset is performed when launching certain games with SRAM protection, but this is by design, so please don't worry about it.

-Made it so that you can change the system language and the machine mode. Added the settin item "Game configuration" to the menu. However, only "MVS BIOS" is supported.
    *AES BIOS is no longer supported since input is no longer recognized if the settings are changed.
    *uni-bios is a change of the BIOS itself so it can't be changed.
    *Debugg BIOS isn't supported since I don't really understand it.

-Added support for analog input in irrmaze and popbounc. Added the menu item "Analog sensitivity" under the "Key configuration" menu, which is dedicated to these. With this item you can set the analog pad sensitivity to one of three levels.

irrmaze (The Irritating Maze / Ultra Denryu IraIra Bo)
    It's already setup so that the analog input is recognized as standard without specially changing the settings. Digital input is also possible for Up, Down, Left, and Right directions using the digital controls.
    popbounc (Pop 'n Bounce / Gapporin)
    Digital input is turned on by default. When switching to analog input, use the dip switches to launch test mode, and then change the controller to PADDLE.
    -Improved the quality of the sound test sound emulation. Plays back at a standard 44100Hz by specifying the sample rate, rather than converting.

-Change it so that if it can not find the specified BIOS file on launch, the BIOS setting screen is automatically displayed.

-Also fixed various other bugs.

FAQ

Q."Could not allocate GFX3 memory." is displayed and it won't launch.
    A.This means that it could not allocate sufficient memory needed to run the game. Please create a cache file using the included ROM converter. Also, please refer to list.txt for ROM size and whether cache is used or not.

Q.Absolutely no sound is played for some games.
    A.Since there isn't enough PSP memory, the sound isn't played for a certain portion of games. These could be played back if I could just recieve a list of the detailed PCM data address and the tracks used, etc...

Q.ROMs that work with NeoRAGE don't work with this emulator.
    A.Maybe you should just use NeoRAGE. Only MAME's ROM set is supported.

Q.The ground isn't displayed in the Tokuten Oh series.
    A.Try activating Raster Effect. It'll probably start running unbelievably slow, but given the processing capabilities of the PSP, further speed improvements are impossible.

Q.It's slow when using cache. But I'm using one of the fast SanDisk models.
    A.Memory Sticks are incredibly slow. Saying it's slow is in comparison to main memory and hard disk, so you've got the wrong idea if you think that a fast Memory Stick will solve this. Until it's possible to add main memory or a HDD, or something along those lines, there's nothing you can do about this.

As soon as NJ says that the releases are going to slow down, you know that's a sure sign that they're going to pick up (!_!)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Readme:
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

NEOGEO Emulator for PSP 0.1

NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/)
    [Overview]

This is a NEOGEO (MVS/AES) emulator for the PSP. Since the PSP memory is too limited, it's a stretch to run large sized games, but I think pretty much all of the games work.
    Directory Setup

All of the directories are automatically setup the first time the program is launched.
    /PSP/GAME/
    |
    +- NGEPSP/ (root directory)
    | |
    | +- EBOOT.PBP NEOGEO Emulator binary
    | +- ngepsp.ini software config file (create by emulator)
    |
    +- cache/ (directory for sprite cache file)
    | |
    | +- mslug_cache.zip (example: Metal Slug)
    |
    +- config/ (directory for key config file)
    |
    +- memcard/ (directory for memorycaard)
    |
    +- music/ (directory for play list (sound test))
    |
    +- nvram/ (directory for SRAM)
    |
    +- snap/ (directory for screen shot)
    |
    +- roms/ (put BIOS and rom files here. (zip compressed)
    | |
    | +- neogeo.zip (NEOGEO BIOS)
    | +- samsho.zip (example: Samrai Spirits)
    | +- ...

-It's nessecary for all of the ROM image files to be compressed to zip files. Other than the fact that it can't handle files that span folders, it's basically exactly the same as MAME. Also, it does not support ROM sets that MAME doesn't support.

-Collect the BIOS in a file called neogeo.zip, and place it inside the roms folder.

-It is nessecary that the zip file names for every game "Exactly match the ROM set names of MAME 0.106".

-It doesn't matter what the ROM file name is for any of the games, but it is nessecary that the "CRC matches MAME 0.106's ROM set's CRC".

-This supports uni-bios, hack BIOS, etc... but, as a basic rule I don't recommend their usage. It's possible that certain games may not run.
    Controls

*The BIOS setting screen is displayed by pressin the L trigger when in the file browser. Pleas launch your game after you have "Made sure to have set this setting first". Should you get the error message "ERROR: CRC32 not correct. "Europe MVS (Ver. 2)"", this is not set correctly.

-Other than the when running a game and when at the main menu, I've made it so that in all of the menus control help is displayed by pressing the R trigger. If there's something you don't understand, press the R trigger. I'm sure you'll understand once you've seen it, so I'll limit the details.

-The menu for changing games settings, etc... is displayed by pressing the L trigger while a game is running.
    About Japanese Resource File

-The included de-compressable file, "resource_jp.zip", is used for a portion of the menus to diplay Japanese. Only copy this file to the ngepsp folder if you wish to display Japanese.
    About The Track List For Use With The Sound Test

-The format is as follows.
    If you use a Japanese resource file, the track names can also be displayed in Japanese.

$title: Enter the game name to be displayed in the title bar.
    $pre: Enter a 2 digit bank 16 base number, etc.. to be added before the playback command. For most games, "07" should be fine.
    $stop: Enter a code used to stop playback of the track as a 2 digit 16 base number. I think that for most games, entering "03" for the reset code, and "20" for the stop code should work fine.
    $start: Declares the beginning of the track list.
    $end: Declares the end of the track list.

The track list should be entered between $start and $end. Please don't enter blank lines or comments. The processing is pretty rough so it'll freeze. The format is, after the 2 digit 16 base number, the track name is written in between to half-width space characters.

Example)
    $title=Metal Slug
    $pre=00
    $stop=03
    $start
    02 Neo Geo Logo
    2b The Military System
    2c Nazca Logo
    $end

Incidentally, a large portion of the included track list was made by referencing Mame E2J's Bridge M1 list.
    Miscellaneous

-A memory card file is created for each game. Also, the memory card is in a constantly recognized condition.

-The games below run in MAME, but are unsupported in this emulator.
    svcpcb SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom (JAMMA PCB)
    kf2k3pcb The King of Fighters 2003 (Japan / JAMMA PCB)
    mslug3b6 Metal Slug 6 (Metal Slug 3 bootleg)
    cthd2003 Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 (The King of Fighters 2001 bootleg)
    ct2k3sp Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 Super Plus (The King of Fighters 2001 bootleg)
    kf2k2pls The King of Fighters 2002 Plus (set 1, bootleg)
    kf2k2pla The King of Fighters 2002 Plus (set 2, bootleg)
    kf2k2mp The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus (bootleg)
    kf2k2mp2 The King of Fighters 2002 Magic Plus II (bootleg)
    kof10th The King Of Fighters 10th Anniversary (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kf2k5uni The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary 2005 Unique (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kf10thep The King of Fighters 10th Anniversary Extra Plus (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    kof2k4se The King of Fighters Special Edition 2004 (The King of Fighters 2002 bootleg)
    ms5plus Metal Slug 5 Plus (bootleg)
    kf2k3bl The King of Fighters 2003 (bootleg, set 1)
    kf2k3bla The King of Fighters 2003 (bootleg, set 2)
    kf2k3pl The King of Fighters 2004 Plus / Hero (The King of Fighters 2003 bootleg)
    kf2k3upl The King of Fighters 2004 Ultra Plus (The King of Fighters 2003 bootleg)
    svcboot SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom (MVS) (bootleg)
    svcplus SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Plus (set 1, bootleg)
    svcplusa SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Plus (set 2, bootleg)
    svcsplus SvC Chaos - SNK vs Capcom Super Plus (bootleg)
    samsho5b Samurai Shodown V / Samurai Spirits Zero (bootleg)
    lans2004 Lansquenet 2004 (Shock Troopers - 2nd Squad bootleg)
    ms4plus Metal Slug 4 Plus (bootleg)
    What's changed

ver.0.1.2

-Since there was a possibility that the stack would be corrupted by a portion of the menu, I've fixed it. It was a minor fix, but since it was on the dangerous side, I've updated it.
    ver.0.1.1

-Fixed an issue with not being able to open the BIOS select screen after playing a game once.

-The first time this version is launched, all of the config and nvram files are deleted. (I should have done this with 0.1, but I forgot to set it)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    ver.0.1

Now the official release. There won't be frequent updates as there have been previously. I won't be adding new features, from here on my work will probably consist of fixing bugs and on improving performance.

-Changed the watchdog emulation. A reset is performed when launching certain games with SRAM protection, but this is by design, so please don't worry about it.

-Made it so that you can change the system language and the machine mode. Added the settin item "Game configuration" to the menu. However, only "MVS BIOS" is supported.
    *AES BIOS is no longer supported since input is no longer recognized if the settings are changed.
    *uni-bios is a change of the BIOS itself so it can't be changed.
    *Debugg BIOS isn't supported since I don't really understand it.

-Added support for analog input in irrmaze and popbounc. Added the menu item "Analog sensitivity" under the "Key configuration" menu, which is dedicated to these. With this item you can set the analog pad sensitivity to one of three levels.

irrmaze (The Irritating Maze / Ultra Denryu IraIra Bo)
    It's already setup so that the analog input is recognized as standard without specially changing the settings. Digital input is also possible for Up, Down, Left, and Right directions using the digital controls.

popbounc (Pop 'n Bounce / Gapporin)
    Digital input is turned on by default. When switching to analog input, use the dip switches to launch test mode, and then change the controller to PADDLE.

-Improved the quality of the sound test sound emulation. Plays back at a standard 44100Hz by specifying the sample rate, rather than converting.

-Change it so that if it can not find the specified BIOS file on launch, the BIOS setting screen is automatically displayed.

-Also fixed various other bugs.
    FAQ

Q."Could not allocate GFX3 memory." is displayed and it won't launch.
    A.This means that it could not allocate sufficient memory needed to run the game. Please create a cache file using the included ROM converter. Also, please refer to list.txt for ROM size and whether cache is used or not.

Q.Absolutely no sound is played for some games.
    A.Since there isn't enough PSP memory, the sound isn't played for a certain portion of games. These could be played back if I could just recieve a list of the detailed PCM data address and the tracks used, etc...

Q.ROMs that work with NeoRAGE don't work with this emulator.
    A.Maybe you should just use NeoRAGE. Only MAME's ROM set is supported.

Q.The ground isn't displayed in the Tokuten Oh series.
    A.Try activating Raster Effect. It'll probably start running unbelievably slow, but given the processing capabilities of the PSP, further speed improvements are impossible.

Q.It's slow when using cache. But I'm using one of the fast SanDisk models.
    A.Memory Sticks are incredibly slow. Saying it's slow is in comparison to main memory and hard disk, so you've got the wrong idea if you think that a fast Memory Stick will solve this. Until it's possible to add main memory or a HDD, or something along those lines, there's nothing you can do about this.

NJ is a legend!

Default keep it up nj

do you think there will ever be a chance of ms3 running with sound anyway that is a minor quibble keep up the great work easily the best emulator on the psp top notch mate

DCEmu Rookie

This emulator is the beeskness. Its one of the best emulator on the psp and the good old neogeo was a great arcade system and had some very good games that other systems did not have.

DCEmu Newbie

NJ................many many thanks for this superb emulator. This is the best by far and i'm amazed by the speed at which you have got it to such high quality. I do'nt know if this has been asked of you before, but is there anyway you could make the ultimate mame emu. Others have given it a go and have not quite got it right as yet.

DCEmu Rookie

I only put the Neo Geo RC1 on yesterday, is it really worth updating again to this new release?

DCEmu Old Pro The_Ultimate_Eggman's Avatar

Cool thanks for the constant updates.P.S just read on another site FW 2.71 has been decrypted.....

DCEmu Regular

Quote Originally Posted by jeffred
    NJ................many many thanks for this superb emulator. This is the best by far and i'm amazed by the speed at which you have got it to such high quality. I do'nt know if this has been asked of you before, but is there anyway you could make the ultimate mame emu. Others have given it a go and have not quite got it right as yet.
    NJ is Japanese and doesn't read those forums.

Hey Eggman, where did you hear that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information