Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Homebrew' community blends hackers, gamers

DCEmu Newbie

I don't get where you come off saying this is a "bad" article. I think it gives a pretty good voice to both sides.

They mention that XBMC extends the media capabilities of the XBox, and they mention that homebrew on the PSP has extended the capabilities of that device.

They then go on to note that the hardware manufacturers don't really like this because, *SHOCK*, people actually DO use hacks to pirate games! Amazing! Who would've thought that MIGHT be a possibility! Do you have your head stuck in the sand?

Further, if you think that a discussion of the possible consequences of using certain software on a PSP is 'bad,' there are quite a few people with bricks who would disagree.

Pirating games will always be around, so whatever is done against it will fail somehow. I don't care if people do it because that would be taking away their rights (same with blocking homebrew.)

DCEmu Newbie

Man this is making homebrew look REAL REAL bad.. what percent of homebrew supports piracy?... exactly.. sony needs to get they're facts straight, this is bull$#@!. They make it seem like homebrewers and coders are nothing but bad hackers out to destroy the psp... stupid..

DCEmu Regular

I also don't see this article as portraying the scene as particularly "bad". Just what were you expecting from a mainstream news story? In-depth praises and analysis of the homebrew community; complete with exhaustive justifications for every action taken by its many members? Surely not.

This article covers all the basics of the current state of psp homebrew - the cleverness of its hackers, the aggressiveness of Sony's subversive firmware patching, the recent downgrader, and the absence of official games worth upgrading for. Naturally, it covers some of the risk and controversy - they are just as much a part of the psp homebrew scene as any other aspect.

DCEmu Newbie

This may be a dumb idea, but if Sony would allow buyers to run homebrew on the PSP and not force people to constantly update their firmware, I would buy all the newest games. I don't buy new games because they force me to update, if this were not the case I believe Sony would sell more games.

Any Thoughts?
    DWC

DCEmu Newbie

I partly agree with you dwc. I do sometimes not update because of a semi force they lay upon us..

DCEmu Newbie

lol that made no sense...

DCEmu Newbie

I thought the article wasn't half-bad. It remains somewhat objective when addressing the homebrew scene, and brings a fancy slogan to the table... "friends don't let friends upgrade"... never heard that before!

The only thing that kind of chaps my ass is their derogatory use of the term "hacker." They never explained that the homebrew scene can be 100% legal and can make the console worth getting on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveddie
    ...and brings a fancy slogan to the table... "friends don't let friends upgrade"... never heard that before!
    I think that slogan, is originaly from PSP Hacking 101. And, like you, I don't like how they use the word "hacker". I think that they can't say homebrew is good, because they might have Sony growling down there backs. It would promote homebrew, and we all know Sony wouldn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wraggster
    Article from Washington Post:
    Independent programmers are working on ways to listen to Internet radio and wirelessly check e-mail through the handheld Nintendo DS game device. Elsewhere, some jokers figured out how to get a playable version of Doom onto the iPod.
    view of our scene?[/B]
    so are they complimenting the DS's homebrew and going against the PSP homebrew? because they never mentiontion the DS anywhere else in the article....it was just somethingi thought of, makes you kind of wonder if sony in fact did hire someone to publish something like this....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information