Thread: Who is John Twelve Hawks??? Help if you can

Default Who is John Twelve Hawks??? Help if you can

Ok I am reading this amazing book right now called The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks.

here is the description:

In London, Maya, a young woman trained to fight by her powerful father, uses the latest technology to elude detection when walking past the thousands of surveillance cameras that watch the city. In New York, a secret shadow organization uses a victim’s own GPS to hunt him down and kill him. In Los Angeles, Gabriel, a motorcycle messenger with a haunted past, takes pains to live "off the grid" — free of credit cards and
    government IDs. Welcome to the world of The Traveler — a world frighteningly like our own.

In this compelling novel, Maya fights to save Gabriel, the only man who can stand against the forces that attempt to monitor and control society. From the back streets of Prague to the skyscrapers of Manhattan, The Traveler portrays an epic struggle between tyranny and freedom. Not since 1984 have readers witnessed a Big Brother so terrifying in its implications and in a story that so closely reflects our lives.

Now John Twelve Hawks is a mystery. No one knows who this person really is or anything. His biography just says he lives off of the grid.

Seriously Google his name and read about him. It's kinda cool and interesting, but it may be just one big marketing scheme. But the parts in the Traveler about The Brethren and The Vast Machine could be very real. This book, could be the work of one of the most paranoid delusionals out there.

Has anyone read this?
    If not I suggest you do. It's pretty damn good.

And if anyone can find out anything cool about John Twelve Hawks then post it.

DCEmu Newbie

I have a very strong feeling that John Twelve Hawks may be a pseudonym for author Matthew Reilly.

Here are my reasons behind the theory:
    Matthew Reilly is the author of various books, but the book that started me thinking about this is Scarecrow. First let me say that about a week ago I bought two books at Barnes and Noble. One was "the Traveler" and the other was Reilly's "Scarecrow". Now, usually I go into B&N and just walk around the fiction section until I see something that catches my eye. This time I happened to piok up both of these novels (I have read all of Reilly's previous novels). As I read through The "Traveler" a quote caught my eye and for some reason stuck in my head. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre, The faclon cannot see the falconer, Things fall apart, The center cannot hold" - W.B Yeats, The Second Coming. After finishing "The Traveler", I started reading "Scarecrow". The first thing that caught my eye was the quote on the page right before the prologue; THE SAME W.B YEATS QUOTE! This got me thinking that JTH could actually be Reilly writing under a pseudonym. I realized that the same quote has probably been used by multiple authors in their books, so maybe this was just a coincidence. After reading through "Scarecrow", Reilly does an interview at the end of the book. He is asked "So what else have you been doing". His reply is what finally did it for me and convinced me that my suspicions could be true. His reply? "....AND HAVE FINISHED THE FIRST PART OF AN EPIC SCIENCE FICTION TRILOGY THAT I THINK WILL ROCK THE WORLD ONE DAY". (November 2003) <--Traveler was published in 2005!

Now maybe this is just coincidence and I am going off in a crazy direction, but I have a strong feeling I might be on the right track to figuring out who JTH is. If anyone has any thoughts on this please reply because I'm dying to know if I'm just reaching here.

this reminds me of when i saw a report about a guy who lived off the grid on ABC news, they interviewd him, and im like WTF, i now know where in general he is, what he looks and sound likes, what his kitchen looks like etc. way to go jack hole, welcome to the grid

John Twelve Hawks is the mysterious author of the 2005 anti-state novel entitled The Traveler.

His publishers claim that he is a first-time author, and that he contacts the publishers using an untraceable satellite phone. Not much is known about him except what he himself states. In the beginning of the audiobook version of The Traveler, a garbled, electronic voice states, "This is John Twelve Hawks," and after some introduction as to why he wrote the book, he stated, "I live off the grid." That last statement basically sums up what is known about this author thus far (July 2006). It is claimed by some, that the name John Twelve Hawks is a Pseudonym and that the mystery surrounding his true identity is a publicity stunt.

"Twelve Hawks is a very mysterious fellow!" says Jason Kaufman, his editor. "I'll tell you what I can." Kaufman continued "we talk quite frequently and I believe he always speaks with a satellite phone, and a satellite phone is virtually untraceable." His agent Joe Regal says "Twelve Hawks uses a synthesizer to disguise or filter his voice. When he calls, I know it's him because nothing comes up, not 'out of area' - nothing." - He's older than 30 and could be in his 40's or 50's

These clues were divulged during a brief question-and-answer piece e-mailed to USA TODAY by his publisher 'Doubleday'; Twelve Hawks precedes the answer to a question about religion with: "When I was in my twenties," and when an editor asked him whether the "realm of hell" could be compared to current conditions in Iraq, Hawks replied "it's more like Beirut in the '70s", a remark that could indicate that he was then old enough to read newspaper accounts of war-torn Lebanon; then again, he could have gleaned the information from old news clippings or a library.

According to Regal "He lives in New York, Los Angeles and London," although the literary agent has never met him face-to-face.[1]

The mysterious author gave a rare interview with SFF World[2] where Hawks claims that he has "no plans to go public".

Thread Information