Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project DS Announced

DCEmu_Newsposter

Default Project DS Announced

News from Scherzo:[br][br] I feel it's kinda retarded on my part to keep this project a mystery. Retarded, selfish... whatever... [br][br]nakamichi and jtnewman pretty much nailed the intent of the project. I intend to make development of homebrew easier for people without much experience in programming. People who use this will also avoid having to setup a unix-ish environment and cross compiler. [br][br]DS stands for DreamScript. I have ported the KJS JavaScript engine found in KDE's web browser, Knoquerer, with promising results. So far, I have implemented objects for video, images, controllers, and mice and I've done a some simple tests. [br][br]I've always liked JavaScript. It has a nice syntax similar to C/C++, useful core objects, and is very flexible. The way I see it, it's a perfect candidate for a scripting language on DC. A good number of you have probably done web development which involved writing some JavaScript. So it's syntax and behavior should be well known. [br][br]Using a scripting language provides that extra layer that will allow me to write a PC based application that duplicates what would happen on the DC. So instead of constantly uploading your new script to the DC, you can test right on your PC until you are ready. And KJS easily makes true step-by-step debugging possible. So I will defintely write a cross platform IDE for DreamScript. Maybe in Java? [br][br]So far I only have 2D homebrew in mind. I'm not sure if the extra overhead of the script engine will allow for complex 3D games. I still have to find out the limits of scripting 2D. [br][br]If I keep the API generic enough, it could conceivably be ported to other systems in the future. [br][br]It's far from complete. I need some functionality for VMU at least. I'm thinking about re-writing the menus and other functionality of NesterDC SE using DreamScript. Maybe I won't because I do want to finish that soon. [br][br]That covers it for now. I welcome any input. [br][br]another great bit of news

Blog Entries

Default Re: Project DS Announced

java for dreamcast

what a great news day

Dream Coder

its not java its javascript. anyone who has done both knows there is a HUGE difference. Basically Java allows you to create anything, just like C or C++. Javascript however allows you to basically make a the scripting engine do what you want it to.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Jeese! I say the DS and i thought someone had already started work on a Nintendo DS emulator. That sounds dumb, but remember GBAemu? :P

Java and Java script have huge differances, but it is still very cool news!

Blog Entries

shows what i know eh :P

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar Darksaviour69's Avatar

u would use java script for web pages. i did some for my course, but i don't know if there is much demand for slide shows, rollover buttons, and crap like that, (thats all i know)

;D

DCEmu Regular

I love this guy everything he does is always of such high quality.

[quote author=Hola link=board=Dev;num=1090864320;start=0#6 date=07/26/04 at 21:49:21]I love this guy everything he does is always of such high quality.[/quote]

True dat.

DCEmu Pro

Would it be possible to do it with flash instead, like port across flash player.

Then we could build games in flash. And have one flash file for each level in a game ( for instance). Then write a program in windows that can create code to join all the animations, and tell the dc which one to load where. Then we could have massive games in flash. Which is a far better platform to build games, (I say this because I can sorta use actionscript, but v. little javascript) only an idea, it it makes sense to anyone!

I'm not quite sure what we would be able to do with Javascript either, but I do know that scherzo said he might move on to PHP next. Here is what he had to say when Ender asked him about PHP:

I won't argue that PHP is the best there is right now in fast and affordable server side scripting. I suppose I could have looked into PHP but I just dig JavaScript. One reason, although superficial, is that I don't like writing dollar signs before my variables. But you certainly have me thinking though. From what I understand, the PHP interpreter is quite fast. I might go peaking around the PHP source in the next few days. I wonder how easily I can get just the interpreter without the core library functions.
    Although, I'm not quite sure what we'd do with PHP either (especially without any real way to use SQL databases on the DC). It is interesting, though, that someone is willing to try to port these things to the DC.
    DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
    DC Evolution - Disc Images
    The DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information