Thread: Light coming from behind PSP LCD

Default Light coming from behind PSP LCD

On the first day I bought my psp, I saw light coming from the screen's edges when I viewed it at a proper angle. I am wondering if this is a problem that could escalate into something bigger, and, if it would, how I could fix it. I would also like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what they have done. Where the light shows through near the top of the screen in the larger picture, near the screen's right side, the letters "kod" (The first might be an "x" and the second and third could be any letter with an "o" in them (p,b,o, etc.)) can be read. My psp came with FW 1.51 (so it was produced a while ago), but I bought it and started using it on July 8th. Sorry about the horrendus quality if the pics, my digital camera is crap and I was limited to 10 KB attachment size. Any help would be appreciated.

hmmmm i've studied for ages and my only guess is the switch to the back light must be broke or summit leaving the light on... i would suggest selling this on ebay and bu a new one mate that's the most i can say

check the settings. you might have it on constantly. i don't see anything wrong with it. all it is, is a backlight.

It looks as though the ccfl (cold cathode flourescent light) that backlights the screen isn't aligned properly. If that is the case it should not be a big problem just a minor annoyance. If it bothers you a lot and your daring, you could open up your psp to realign it. It should not be too hard, you just have to be very gentle as ccfl's are pretty brittle being made of glass and all.

Actually it looks more like your lcd isn't properly aligned. That might be a little easier to fix but you still need to be gentle.

Default Oops

Stupid me. In the attached pics I was viewing an all-black photograph on the psp, hoping that it would be easier to see the light. The psp's backlight was not expected to be off when the photos were taken. Sorry for the confusion. I checked and the backlight turns off just fine.
    My thinking, and what troubled me, was that wherever the light showed through, whatever was attached the LCD in other places was not apparent there. I worried about the screen sinking off or moving around inside the unit, not having the proper anchorage. If there are any issues that could arise from the loss of adhesive in those few places, please tell me.

The backlight works just fine. Sorry for my absentmindedness with the photos.

To Brainpan:

Would a misaligned LCD or CCFL lack of be a big problem? I am not the most adept at fixing fragile parts in expensive things I just spent all my money on. The light can only be seen from an angle I will almost never try to do something at (10-20 degrees)

I actually replaced the ccfl in my laptop lcd a few monthsago. Unfortunately, i did not align it just right and now I have a similiar annoyance.
    I dont think it will ever be a real problem for your psp.

Thanks for all the help

It doesn't look like anything big other then aether the LCD missed align or the ccfl. Your best bet if you want to be 100% sure is to open the psp carefully and check. Remember that voids the sony manufacture warranty.

Thread Information