Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Daedalus PSP R6 "W.I.P" (Nintendo 64 Emulator News)

DCEmu Rookie

psp Daedalus PSP R6 "W.I.P" (Nintendo 64 Emulator News)

-StrmnNrmn posted this news update about his N64 Emulator for the PSP:

Here are a few of the significant graphical fixes I've made so far for R6.

Firstly, I managed to fix the horrible flickering that happened when running various roms (Paper Mario was a good example). It turned out that I was making an assumption that roms executed exactly one display list per frame. I assumed that each display list would clear the screen, render everything, and then wait for the screen to flip. As it turns out, some roms execute multiple display lists per frame. In the case of Paper Mario it executes 2 display lists per frame (one which clears the screen, then another which renders everything). By making sure that I only flip after the second display list executes, I avoid the flickering (the actual solution is a little more involved but this is the general idea).

The next significant glitch I've fixed was to do with backface culling of triangles. Basically, when I ported the graphics engine over from the PC version, I forgot to implement the two or three lines of code which handles this. It was a very small fix, but it corrects a number of significant graphical issues (notably all the walls getting in the way in Quest 64).

Finally, I've managed to track down and fix a significant memory leak in the texture handling code. I believe this was causing many of the random crashes that were occuring when leaving the emulator running for several minutes or more (basically through running out of memory). Before applying the fix I found that the Super Mario 64 would crash within 4-5 minutes. After applying the fix I've been able to run Mario with no problems for over 30 minutes.

I'll keep you posted as to when you can expect a new release. I'm quite excited about the memory leak fix, so I'd like to get a new release out as soon as I can implement some of the other things I promised for R6.

-StrmnNrmn

PS I know I've been crap at replying to emails I'm hoping to get this release out and then I'll spend a few hours sorting out my mailbox and replying to various comments here.

nice man good job

YESSS!!! thanx mameuser for this update, awesome news

Good to hear some news from StrmnNrmn I always forget to check his blog

It takes thousands of nuts to hold a car together, but it takes only one to shatter it across the highway

Duct Tape is like the force. It has a light and dark side, and it holds the world together

Click here to play my other Flash games and movies!

AWESOME!!!
    Cant wait till I get my bricked PSP replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by BALL_SAC
    AWESOME!!!
    Cant wait till I get my bricked PSP replaced.
    takin it back to walmart are we? lol

Great news indeed! For a while this seemed to be overshadowed by the many recent breakthroughs. Good to see significant advancements in this.

Good work!

DCEmu Regular

this is great. cant wait to see this emu really flurish

Great job, i always look forward to Daedalus Updates, - heh and if sony only knew we could do all this with Thier psps

Quote Originally Posted by nigelrigel
    Great job, i always look forward to Daedalus Updates, - heh and if sony only knew we could do all this with Thier psps
    oh i'm sure they know, but after spendin 250 bucks we should beable to do what ever we want with it seein how they dont have that big of a game selection(well not like any other system thats for sure)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information