Thread: PlayStation VP Says "PS1 And PS2 Classics" A Terrific Opportunity

Blog Entries

ps3 PlayStation VP Says "PS1 And PS2 Classics" A Terrific Opportunity

The long-rumored, recently leaked existence of PlayStation 2 games joining the "PS One Classics" line comes a bit closer to reality, at least in the mind of PlayStation senior VP Peter Dille who calls the digital re-issues a "terrific opportunity."

In an interview with IGN, Dille says that the PlayStation folks are "working really hard on" bringing more PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to the PlayStation Store, not quite an official announcement, but another glimmer of hope.

"From our side, we're going through our own studio organization and trying to make sure all these old games are out there so that we can lead by example, but we're also communicating with all the third-parties about the success of the Final Fantasy games, and other PS1 and PS2 classics," Dille tells IGN. "By all means, I think people can look for more of that because once the third-parties see how this works, it's just found money. There's not a whole lot of work that has to go into it and once we can get it up on the network, it finds an audience pretty quickly."

With PS2 backward compatibility all but dead on the PlayStation 3 going forward, it would seem like some of that "found money" would be an attractive option for Sony. About as attractive as the rumored addition of Dreamcast games to the PS3 would be for me.

Maybe we'll hear something official closer to GDC or E3 this year.

http://kotaku.com/5462621/playstatio...ic-opportunity

Its disgusting that the machine has no backwards compatibility anyway (or that the feature was completely removed from the slim for cost cutting).

Why would I want to pay to download game for ps1 & ps2 that i already own?

Thread Information