Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: With the Release of the Downgraders is the PSP Modchip Not Needed ?

Blog Entries

psp With the Release of the Downgraders is the PSP Modchip Not Needed ?

The release of the downgraders for 2.5/2.6 PSPs has delivered a blow to the Modchip Makers of the Undiluted Platinum PSP Modchip who can only really sell it to those with Bricked PSPs and those on v2.7 & 2.71 and you musnt have the TA-082 Hardware revision.

Surely a lot of you now value the Modchip as useless unless your going to use the latest firmware and also the ability to use v1.5 because of the Modchip.

Id really like to hear opinions on this.

Oh and something to make you laugh, its been pointed out to me that 2 PSP websites have posted the exact same PSP modchip review, cut and pasting gone mad eh :P

Once MikeDX posts his proper review we shall spread that to the masses

Discuss this newspost Via Comments

Back before today, I would have said, sure, why not have a modchip? But with Dark_Alex's Custom Firmware, why bother? It's as good as gold now!

Well, as of now the modchip is almost (it still has use for bricked/upgraded versions) completely useless, the situation however may change in the future with new upgrades and such.
    My hopes rest in the new custom firmware way.

DCEmu Rookie

As good as the times are right now. I personaly do not think they will hold. It is a testament to S0NYs®™ patience that they have not released a v2.72 / v2.80 and locked all the D/L'able Demos off there Site yet.

Yes S0NY®™ got powned and powend vary badly this Week, but I won't sit here thinking for One Second that S0NY®™ will be sitting on there collective Butts on this for long, and there's still the venerable 3.0 update to come.

So is the Chip Biz dead?! No I don't think so. Given that the Chip Biz is still in it's infancy, and untill we start seeing reall mesures of bypassing S0NYs'®™ Signed Code. Which is what any good Modchich should do in the first place! There really was no Modchip Biz to start with...

DCEmu Newbie

i bought my psp in 2nd hand; it's a 1000k but was a 2.6
    Tired of gta exploit i was very close to buy a modchip (a pre order @ the time), i took a couple of day to think about... and the 2.6 exploit was announced, and then the downgrader!
    my psp is now a 1.5 with 2.71 full emu; i don't need anything else now (let's see what's will happen with the psone emu form sony )

is the modchip needed? maybe. we dont know what s0ny is going to throw at us in the future, so having the ability to control the actual harware so that we can control the software will be good. am i going to buy a modchip? hell no. too expensive and dangerous. however, there are other people who think oppositly, so let them eat cake i suppose.

DCEmu Newbie

i should of just kept my 1.5 back psp

but i wanted a white one so i bought a new 2.6 white one and sold my 1.5 black one

i cant downgrade bcoz if ure psp was originally 2.6 when bought.. then the downgrader wont work..

DCEmu Rookie

It's not useful now for people with 1.5 PSP's. I wouldn't even get on eif I had an undowngradable PSP. I would sell it and but one I could downgrade. But I'm sure the next firmware's will be even more difficult to figure out and maybe that's when we'll need a modchip.

I think the second PSP vs. modchip debate is an interesting one for those who don't have a second PSP. If you buy a second one you would be able to play 2-player games with friends or family and still have the latest firmware. But SONY might make it so that the latest firmware doesn't work with modchip somehow. But there are possibilities for custom firmwares. Things are getting so complicated now I get headaches. Or You could just get a second PSP (maybe a used one won't cost too much) and you'll have no probkems forever.

But I would really rather spend the money on a DS. I've been dying to get one but the only thing holding me back is possibly having to do one of the above later when new PSP games or features are released.

Quote Originally Posted by pspdingo
    i cant downgrade bcoz if ure psp was originally 2.6 when bought.. then the downgrader wont work..
    That's not necessarily true. Open your UMD drive and look at the PCB at the top right hand corner or .. can you see any letter when you open your UMD drive? If you can clearly see something printed there, then yes, you're boned. However, if you don't, you MIGHT be able to downgrade.

About the U.P., I've said this before on the review site but I'll say it again here:
    Unfortunately, the downdater killed the market for the mod chip.

What this chip really needs is a killer app. Something, other than unbrickability, that makes these things worthwhile.

Simply downgrading is no longer a strong selling point. Maybe when sony comes out with their emulator for the PSOne, and make 3.xx+ a firmware requirement, then it'll be worthwhile.

For now, the U.P. is too untested, too damn hard to install, and is too damn expensive. Seriously, $100 for the chip and $100 to install plus shipping is pushing the limits of what anyone would want to spend. $450+ for a pre-installed one? You've got to be insane.

at present the mod chip is not really worth the cost or the hassle of instalation but the battle of sony vs the hackers has plenty more twists and turns and who knows that in 6 months we could be all saving for a U.P.?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information