Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Preparing to Phase Out UMD Movies? Memory Stick Tester Planned

Blog Entries

psp Sony Preparing to Phase Out UMD Movies? Memory Stick Tester Planned

More on the UMD Movie Issue from Spong

As most movie and games industry pundits seek to write off the UMD as a viable format to host film releases, it looks as though Sony is set to rethink its offer to studios and retailers, with DVD movie combo packs set to ship with Sony Memory Sticks and PSP encoding software.

It was reported earlier this year on SPOnG that major studios were backing away from the format, and recently reports have flared talking of major US retailers backing away from UMD movies, or discontinuing their sale altogether.

Sony's answer, or at least the first stab at an answer, is to release Memory Stick Entertainment Packs. Two versions will be released, a one GB version (MSX-M1GSTEP) and a two GB (MEX-M2GSEP) version. In the US pricing will be $60 and $100 respectively, the same Sony asks for it's standard first-party Memory sticks.

Each pack will come complete with an installer DVD housing four Sony Pictures movies, Hitch, S.W.A.T., The Grudge, or XXX: State of the Union, and software that will install them onto the PSP ready-encoded. The only shortcoming right now is the resolution, with Sony offering the movies at a resolution of 320x240, much lower than the 480x272 the hardware can manage.

We'll bring you up to speed with this interesting development as more information is released.

DCEmu Pro

Sony might as well not bother with movies at all, I dont know anybody who watches them, of course there are people that do and I respect that but sony have no hope with them, besides most of us just do our own on the memory stick anyway.

Please note that sony may require you to have the latest firmware to access the movies. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I would think Sony would jump at the chance to have you upgrade.

DCEmu Newbie

The fact that Sony is offering the movies at 320x240 only is laughable ..

DCEmu Regular

No, they can't require you to update for this. O_o It just makes it into a PSP-readable movie format, the same type that you could make on your own. There are no special options or security, so it can't even read what firmware you have.

^^ So, no.. no firmware updates for this.

On the issue at hand.. Sony's yet again proving to be uncannily dumb. They offer four wretched movies that can be encoded in a format that we could all do at home? Yeah.. great job.

I'm not purchasing movies I can only play on my psp for $19.99 to $24.99 no never. I'll buy dvd's and rip them myself if I want to watch them on the psp. The price point is what killed UMD movies that coupled with the fact that most people buying PSP's bought them for gaming not movie watching. Sony tried to sell movies to gamers and it failed.

The whole UMD format for movies was doomed to begin. Finally, Sony now thinks that movies on the memory stick are the way to go.

sony has got to drop the UMD price $5 under the DVD price in order to make money (or at least break even). its only fare to drop the price lower due to lack of certain features (chapter selecet come on! most movies are missing it).

i would love to see a rerelease of UMD movies at a smaller price, i just don't see it happening.

I watch movies on my psp (mostly just on trips and such). if sony wants us to get into "their" memory stick movies then they have got to offer some better movies.

I don't think there's any real way for Sony to profit off of movies on the PSP. It's just not worth the money for many people, including myself, and those who really want it would find cheaper 3rd party solutions to getting videos on their memory sticks.

It's so much easier to just buy a DVD, and more worth while to sit on a comfy couch or chair and watch it on a nice big TV with decent sound to boot. Especially if Sony wants you to 'encode' the movies now.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeriastone
    Please note that sony may require you to have the latest firmware to access the movies. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I would think Sony would jump at the chance to have you upgrade.
    Just use the PMP player on (nearly everyones got one now!) a 1.5 PSP Who needs $ony??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information