Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Kids Games/Apps etc

Blog Entries

Default Ideas for Kids Games/Apps etc

To those of us who are non coders lets chuck some ideas or even ports of freely available games etc that would be good for this contest.

Heres my idea for one childs app

An interactive Book telling the history with pictures of the Dreamcast Scene.

another idea

A two player or more game of press the colored button to say for example make your runner run faster in a race.

come on lets have some ideas

Default Re: Ideas for Kids Games/Apps etc

Nice ideas there, but an interactive book about the DC? - boring!, I think the kids would want a subject a little more entertaining than that, being a big kid myself, I can guarantee it ;D.

DCDayDreamer looks to quazar and 'DreamBook' .

Remember 'Simon' the homebrew game? - maybe something along the same lines, a simple puzzle game with bright colours.

One other thought I had was: if this lot is compiled into a CD, how about some freeware MP3 stories on there, maybe even short cartoons via one of the media players we have?

One last suggestion - what about those kiddie card games that were out all those years ago, maybe an onscreen representation of that?

Dream Coder

[quote author=DCDayDreamer link=board=DCGP2004;num=1096825480;start=0#1 date=10/03/04 at 17:29:22]Nice ideas there, but an interactive book about the DC? - boring!, I think the kids would want a subject a little more entertaining than that, being a big kid myself, I can guarantee it ;D.

DCDayDreamer looks to quazar and 'DreamBook' .[/quote]

well, i didnt really explain my full idea for DreamBook on DCemulation. In the end i want it to not just be text on the screen, but also have an audio narration mode, a typing exericse function (type along with the story), the ability to put music playing in the background to your text and of course a visual background, and possibly a few other things. It aint gonna be like the alice in wonderland thing.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

It aint gonna be like the alice in wonderland thing.
    I should think not too, how dare you compete with a classic! ;D.

Seriously though, the DreamBook idea sounds more interesting than I first thought, would it be themable - in the context that someone could adapt it easily for other conntent - let's just say 'an interactive Alice in Wonderlad DreamBook' (not that I want to exploit your efforts of course ).

Dream Coder

basically my final idea would be that you could like... give it any text file and have it do a great number of things with it.
    If anyone is looking to buy, sell, trade games and support a developer directly at the same time, consider joining Goozex. Enjoy!

Not bad idea, no, though understand that mp3 would be the worst choice for audio and speech codecs. Consider Ogg Vorbis for music and Speex for speech audio as both are freeware and open-source formats.

By the way, do consider the children's hands while setting keys for Kids Games/Apps. Moreover, consider also the youngest ones' lack to understand letters. Remeber the standard DC controller has different colors in the action buttons.

I think it would be fun to make a giant color controller with clicky keys for little kids.

So, we could have a game with a color on the screen, and the kids would punch the matching colors on the giant controller.

Alot of neat learning games could be made out of that - and even some rhythm or the like type of games for the adults.

DCEmu Regular

Do any kids own a dreamcast ? of that age I say most kids would have Vitec new console or a game Cube.

Well, I know that there are some kids who use the Dreamcast. Wraggster's kids have a Dreamcast at least. :P

[quote author=Ian_micheal link=board=DCGP2004;num=1096825480;start=0#7 date=10/04/04 at 00:30:11]
    Do any kids own a dreamcast ? of that age I say most kids would have Vitec new console or a game Cube.[/quote]

That's a very damning statement. Too many adults play video games more than kids now.

To get on the Vtec console, there was a study done recently by an education toy marketer that basically shot down the notion that kids actually learn more from education games. They learn just at the same levels as non-educational games.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information