Thread: DS2 dev kits are in the wild

Blog Entries

NDS DS2 dev kits are in the wild

Claims that select Japanese developers already have access to Nintendo’s handheld prototype
    Development kits for Nintendo’s successor to the world-conquering DS handheld not only exist, but they’re also in the hands of key Japanese studios – that’s the claim being made by CVG.
    The website states that The Pokemon Company, amongst others, was the first outfit to get their hands on the prototype tech, though apparently Nintendo has stressed to all involved that the hardware is still work-in-progress, with future revisions dependent on the feedback it receives.
    “It's genuinely the best thing I think I've ever worked with,” the unnamed source is said to have claimed. “I can tell you that it's got a 'tilt' function that's not dissimilar to iPhone, but does a lot more.”
    The source adds that Nintendo is unlikely to unveil the rumoured tech any time soon, ruling out a GDC reveal.
    When asked about the rumours by MCV, a Nintendo spokesperson told us that the company – as we’ve become accustomed to – does not comment on rumour or speculation.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37580/DS2-...ing-the-rounds

Most exciting news about the next handheld console from Nintendo, that some developers actually have access to the new devkit! Developers all over the world would be just itching to find out what level of graphics and power the new platform has so they can begin new developments already before the thing is even released, that's very important. I can imagine it's Japanese developers working on epic RPGs that need this kind of head-start for some launch titles.

Linked news post has this mockup:-

User-created mockup showing a "Dual-Screen" handheld with high-resolution and graphics standard closer to a Gamecube, with texture-filtering, at least DirectX-8 shader level and higher polycounts. Hopefully, not far from the truth.

Thread Information