Thread: Ubisoft's Constant Net Connection DRM Confirmed

Blog Entries

IRC Chat Ubisoft's Constant Net Connection DRM Confirmed

A few weeks ago we discussed news of Ubisoft's DRM plans for future games, which reportedly went so far as to require a constant net connection, terminating your game if you get disconnected for any reason. Well, it's here; upon playing review copies of the PC version of Assassin's Creed 2 and Settlers VII, PCGamer found the DRM just as annoying as you might expect. Quoting:
    "If you get disconnected while playing, you're booted out of the game. All your progress since the last checkpoint or savegame is lost, and your only options are to quit to Windows or wait until you're reconnected. The game first starts the Ubisoft Game Launcher, which checks for updates. If you try to launch the game when you're not online, you hit an error message right away. So I tried a different test: start the game while online, play a little, then unplug my net cable. This is the same as what happens if your net connection drops momentarily, your router is rebooted, or the game loses its connection to Ubisoft's 'Master servers.' The game stopped, and I was dumped back to a menu screen — all my progress since it last autosaved was lost."

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...-DRM-Confirmed

Way to make people be extremely wary of buying your products, Ubisoft.

I don't know about you, but if there's a good chance of getting repeatedly and regularly punched in the face for buying a legitimate product, and probably having said product taken away from me for good in a matter of years, chances are I'm not gonna buy it.

and i wonder what will happens in some years later, when some of such servers are shut down. Or if you want to play it on your notebook during a trip.

Good reason to not buy. And a incentive to people look and make "cracks" to make the game playable without internet...

Thread Information