In a deal which marks the first time a US entertainment company has teamed up with a Korean developer, the Cartoon Network has signed an agreement to produce a new MMO with Grigon Entertainment.

The game, which is slated for a spring 2008 launch, will be aimed at children and will feature characters such as Mac and Bloo, Ben 10 and the Kids Next Door. The game will be free to download, with subscription and micro-transaction systems in place, and there are plans to add new content over the following years.

"This MMOG is a key part of Cartoon Network's growth strategy, and is an important complement to our mobile, broadband and our existing online business," said Cartoon Network's Jim Samples.

Senior VP Paul Condolora added: "Online games have been the most important driver of Cartoon Network New Media's success over the last few years. With more than 84 million US homes expected to have broadband Internet access by 2008, and Cartoon Network's reach and creative vision, we're excited to enter the fast-growing world of massively multiplayer online gaming."

Grigon Entertainment's previous games include Seal Online, a hit in China, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia and Korea. CEO Byung-Kyu Cho said it would be a "great pleasure" to work with Cartoon Network, adding: " When I look at the globally adored characters of Cartoon Network getting together harmonically with the renowned strength and uniqueness of Grigon, I have all my confidence that we will proudly present an online game which will astonish the world."