No longer limited to wandering the rooms of an abandoned building, the zombies of the Verrückt zombie asylum add-on pack for iPhone's Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies are trying to break their way into the halls of an insane asylum.
The basic premise of this $5 in-game purchase is the same - kill off the zombies on your own or with up to three friends until they overwhelm you - but now you have more weapons, a new map and perks to help you out. But is it worth the price?
Loved
Objective Experience: While I loved the original Call of Duty: World At War: Zombies for the iPhone, it didn't make my Sweet Sixteen list. Why? Because the single-player experience felt so flat. You just kept plugging away at zombies until you died. Verruckt offers a more objective-driven experience. Sure, you're still holding out against an inevitable death by zombies, but this time you've got more specific goals and greater rewards as you try to get to that power box so you can unlock a bunch of neat new power-ups and defensive items. I also like the fact that the four-player coop mode starts the game with the players broken into two teams at each end of the map. Neat idea.
Extras: Verruckt isn't just a new map to run around in, it also comes with nine new weapons, 13 new achievements and the ability to purchase perks from the "perk a cola" machines. All welcome additions to an already fun game.
Hated
Price: As much as I love this new content, paying $5 for an add-on is a little steep for an iPhone game. And remember if you're new to the iPhone game entirely you'll have to put down nearly $15 to play this add-on and the original game. That's approaching PC title pricing.
I love this expansion of Call of Duty: World At War: Zombies. The addition of the new map doesn't just extend the play, but transforms it on a very basic level into something more akin to a single-player campaign than a multiplayer afterthought. There's a lot to do in Verruckt, alone or with others, but at $15 for the full package, it seems a bit pricey.
Call of Duty: World At War: Zombies developed by Ideaworks and Treyarch and published by Activision for the iPod Touch and iPhone on Feb. 11. Retails for $5, but you must own Call of Duty: Zombies to purchase and play it. Code to download a copy of the game was given to us by the publisher for reviewing purposes. Unlocked all of the doors and areas of Verruckt in several solo and coop matches.
Confused by our reviews? Read our review FAQ.

</img> </img> </img> </img>

More...