Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote for the next DS homebrew/port!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_952
    Marathon is not open-source.

As noted on Bungie's website (at the link provided):
    I think they mean the source for the PC version. I know the MAC source is out.

http://source.bungie.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWyatt
    Moon Cresta! a.k.a Eagle

I went to Welsh Bicknor once, and they had a tabletop version of this game, I spent a lot of my pennies on this.
    That's an arcade game isn't it? You'll have to wait for a port of MAME for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lolmasta
    No Half-Life?
    Half-Life isn't on the list becase I didn't think it'd be possible. Everything is 3D in Half-life. Games like Doom and Hexen have 2D sprites, which use less memory. Alot of people would vote for Half-Life too, taking votes away from other games in favor of something that might not be possible.

I could be wrong though. Anyone care to shed some light on the issue?

DCEmu Newbie

This thread originated in the SCDev forum, so I'll summarize what I posted there.

The D2X-XL project has everything needed to put together a working port of Descent 2 - which also runs Descent 1 content.

Descent 1/2 is the perfect game for the DS.

Meh, you forced me into it. I'll just explain some of my ideas. Same as I posted on SCDev:

Descent 1 and 2 natively support co-op missions, as well as co-op campaign mode

The D2X-XL project adds a tracker system to the multiplayer aspect which could be used to set up a Nintendo Wifi-ish system, or at least its current functionality which is more than adequate.

Everything's already in place. Fully open code, written to a fully open standard, with system requirements within range of the DS's capabilities.

Here's the control scheme I was thinking of. Since Descent uses a much, much more complex movement system than games like Hunters, the main problem will be figuring out how to map all the necessary controls in a logical way.

The main problem is sliding, aka strafing.

I was thinking something like this:

d-pad - aiming

L - hold down to switch D-Pad into strafe mode (similar to holding down alt in the original)

X - forward

B - back

Y - fire secondary

A - drop bomb

R - fire primary

Start - game menu (exit, main menu, etc)

Select - automap

Try these out on your own DS, you'll see it works out very well.

On the touchscreen would be your HUD (shield/energy guage, bomb count and type, primary/secondary weapons, cloak/stealth status, anything I'm forgetting). Similar to mario 64, there would also be two sets of arrows, which could easily be controlled by thumbs even while in combat, so they'd have to have a pretty big touching region. Touching one arrow would cycle through either primary or secondary one way, touching the other arrow would cycle through either primary or secondary the other way.

Why not use touchscreen for aiming? The answer is simple, and it is that it would deny you access to too many buttons, which means too many essential functions. Hunters works reasonably well here since there's just shoot, aim, and move necessary. Descent 2 is massively more complex. There's move, strafe, fire three different categories of weapons *simultaneously*, a map, a completely different style of movement... etc.

Finally, unlike Hunters, this was only a second-generation FPS. Hitboxes were not very complex and this wasn't a bad thing. Precision weapon firing wasn't a big issue, you just had to hit the general area, similar to Doom. Again, this is NOT a bad thing. The whole game was designed with this in mind. And, the speed at which you could turn in Descent is much like in the Gamecube "Prime" series - you could turn slowly or quickly, but it was limited to a certain speed. Most of the time you wanted to turn at the maximum speed, and when you didn't, you usually strafed instead.

This could really work. We just need a developer. Look how quickly Picodrive has come along! It's because its developer was very dedicated and the code he started on, like D2 code, was fully open. I would love to take on this project myself, but I have no experience with this sort of work.

Here's a reasonably average-detail ingame screenshot:

The level of detail is ideal.

Thanks for recapping your post, Caydr!

DCEmu Newbie

A port of Transport Tycoon would be great

I just realised I haven't voted yet, lol. I'd go for Descent... WiFi co-op and death match would be freakin' awesome!

If anyone is willing to verify the results, please do. Just so I don't forget anyone.

euh.. Beats of rage is allready been ported by GPF

You know, it's kind of funny. I was laying down in my bed last night and I saw my Descent game box on a shelf in my closet. I remember closing my eyes and thinking "wouldn't it be great to play that on my DS".
    Interesting coincidence, eh? So I guess my vote would have to be for Descent.

DUKE NUKEM 3D

Hell Yeah

DCEmu Newbie

stendhal, but only if you can get the whole wifi thing goin so it can be an mmo, not a regular rpg. if no wifi... id say lemmings. and if its possible, half-life. half-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-lifehalf-life

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information