Thread: Commodore 64GS a History & Whats the greatest C64 Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News Commodore 64GS a History & Whats the greatest C64 Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

Commodore 64GS

In 1982 a low cost home computer was released and achieved amazing success. The computer was called the Commodore 64.

By 1990, Commodore set their attentions on the videogame console market. They followed the same concept as other computer companies (Fujitsu with the FM Towns Marty, and before that the Amstrad GX400, and the Amiga CD32). Their new system was called the Commodore 64GS (GS = Game System). This unit was basically just a repackaged Commodore 64 computer without a keyboard, port access (Disk drive, etc), or standard ROM chip. Cartridges were loaded through the top port, and the machine came packaged with a joystick and a couple of games to get you started.

Since the console was essentially a computer in new skin, it was compatible with all existing Commodore 64 carts. The Commodore 64GS also spurred development of newer cartridges released specifically for the console.

The C64GS never achieved the level of success that it's computer big brother did. For a little more money you could own the Commodore 64 computer (cheaper by this time) and still play the same carts, a vast library of disk / cassette games (Not to mention other computer perks). The console suffered poor sales and was pulled from store shelves. It was never released outside of Europe.

However Commodore still did not learn their lesson in the console arena. They promptly tried to introduce the C64GS to the Danish market in 1991. Priced at just £99.99 the console was packaged with a joystick and a cartridge containing International Soccer, Klax, Flimbo's Quest and Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O'Fun.

Eventually Commodore was bought out by a German company, and the console became a memory.

Commodore 64GS would have done far better if released shortly after the Commodore 64 computer. If released sooner it would have given the Nintendo Entertainment System a run for it's money both graphically, and with the sheer size of it's software library. It was pretty sleek looking too....ah well...

FACT: The Commodore 64GS may not have succeeded in the console market, but it's creation did help bring Commodore users (particularly in Europe) more cartridge titles to enjoy.

Whats the greatest C64 Game Ever ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Got a Console we havent reviewed or want to do a better review then please Post them Here

Previous History Topics:

3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?
    Amstrad GX4000 a History & Whats the greatest Amstrad's GX4000 Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Atari 5200 a History & Whats the greatest Atari 5200 Game Ever ?
    Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?
    Colecovision a History & Whats the greatest Colecovision Game Ever ?
    Emerson Arcadia 2001 a History
    FM Towns Marty a History & Whats Your Favourite Game
    Intellivision a History & Whats the greatest Intellivision Game Ever ?
    Neo Geo a History & Whats the greatest Neo Geo Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?
    PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Sega 32X a History & Whats the greatest 32X Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sega Master System a History & Whats the greatest Master System Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Treamcast - The Unnofficial Portable Dreamcast History
    WonderMega/ JVC X'Eye A History
    Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?

DCEmu Newbie

I don't think I could name just 1 game (actually owned the PC with the 2 5.25in floppy disk drives, I didn't get the carts cause a lot of them i still had for atari 2600/7800). Of the games I had back then I thought were great:

Legacy of the anicents
    all 3 bard's tales
    Questron 2
    trailblazers
    both forbidden forests
    outrun turbo
    card sharks (the gameshow one)
    both barbarians
    ultimate wizard

The Last Ninja 1 & 2 - System 3
    Exploding Fist - Melbourne House
    Law Of The West - Accolade

compatible with all existing Commodore 64 carts.
    In theory yes it was, in practice any cart that required you to press a key wouldn't be playable on it including the Terminator 2/paint (or maybe it was a music thing I cant recall exactly) cart that came out after the GS appeared, early carts from before the GS needing keys to be pushed I can understand but after the GS came out?

I had, still have actually, the C64GS and it sure was just the C64 in a new box, having looked inside them the motherboard is identical apart form the cart slot being moved from the back to the top so if you had a spare keyboard, tape deck etc.. you could hook it up with not much effort.

These days I got a regular C64 & a C64C as well but back in the day it was pricey carts only so my contenders for great games come from that list:
    Shadow of the Beast (I swear the C64 version music sounds as good if not better than the Amiga one)
    Stunt Car Racer
    Rick Dangerous (these 2 were on a compilation cart of 3 games, would that mean the compilation cart would count so these would be one?)

DCEmu Newbie

I can't remember having seen this machine for sale in my country (France).

I did read very negative articles about it in the main video games magazines at the time (Tilt and Joystick), and I think I remember an ad featuring the hero from Flimbo's Quest.

The C64GS seems to me a very stupid decision from Commodore... At least, the CPC+/GX400 was a sensitive upgrade of the CPC platform. The C64GS,though pretty unexpensive, was very obsolete when it was released. Most probably C= hoped to get some market share in consoles by penetrating the low-end market... Maybe if it had been released a few years before... This was not the first mistake C= made (C+/4 for example) and not the last...

Eventually Commodore was bought out by a German company, and the console became a memory.
    I think the console was already a (pretty bad) memory at the demise of C= in 1994 (which was bought by Escom in 1995). The 8 bits page was defiitely turned with the abortion of the C65 project in 1991.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jaws365 View Post
    The Last Ninja 1 & 2 - System 3
    Exploding Fist - Melbourne House
    Law Of The West - Accolade
    great list of essentials! I'd just add Impossible Mission :thumbup:

DCEmu Regular

Yeah this was pointless next to the C64 and ended up a complete failure, but that's what i loved about the 80's, it would take you hours even now to track down the amount of consoles going at any 1 time back then, and how many do we have now? 4.

heh if we were going by music, then R-type and Monty on the run are one of the best, disregarding music there still pretty good games!

Thread Information