Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SegaCD/MegaCD a History & Whats the greatest Sega CD Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News SegaCD/MegaCD a History & Whats the greatest Sega CD Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

SegaCD/MegaCD

In 1991 at the Tokyo Toy show in Japan, Sega unveiled it’s secret project to compete against NEC’s PCEngine CD-ROM add on.

The Mega CD like it’s rival was capable of utilizing the enormous storage capacity of CD media to produce quality games. The Mega CD however was designed with it’s own processor and memory that worked in conjunction with the Megadrive’s (Genesis) processor and memory via an interface port.

The unit was capable of adding 10 extra sound channels to the Megadrive, and provide sprite enhancement features such as scaling and rotation, similar to that of the SuperNES’s Mode 7. Like other CD-based consoles, the Mega CD could also run audio CD’s and CD+G (CD plus Graphics). With the massive amount of storage space on CDs, game producers also saw the capability of using Full Motion Video (FMV) in their games. Unfortunately, when shown on a 16-bit console, the graphics turned out very pixilated and grainy, but that didn't stop them making such games.

The Mega CD was released in Japan in the winter of 1991, and competed well against NEC’s add on. In 1992 Sega began to lose it’s dominance in the United States due to the release of the SuperNES. Their CD add-on renamed Sega CD was released in October of that year to retake their sales position. However, the initial price tag of $299, and the initial lack of quality titles kept the add-on from taking off.

In 1993 the Sega CD was redesigned with a top loading CD tray. The redesign made the add on cheaper, and sleeker to connect to the remodeled Megadrive II / Genesis II. It was finally released in Europe in April, and garnered a larger following.

In March of 1994 the Sega CD was redesigned yet again, but was no longer an add-on. The Sega CDX was a single unit that combined both the Genesis and the Sega CD into a single unit. The sleek design was slightly larger then a normal CD Player and retailed for $399 USD.

The Sega CD was an innovative creation, but was not considered a total success. A number of factors prevented the Sega CD from attaining a dominant position in the videogame market at the time. The initial high price prevented the add on from selling well. Another contributor was the delay of third party software support. This was because Sega was slow to distribute the development kits needed to create Sega CD games.

The result caused some rushed low quality games. Other developers abused the add-on’s ability to create FMV, and games seemed more a cheap movie then an actual game. Other games still were simple slightly enhanced versions of their existing Genesis / Megadrive carts.

In 1993, an issue of violence and videogames began surfacing. Fingers began pointing at Sega due to a game called "Night Trap". Stores began removing Sega CD games from their shelves in fear of protest.

Approximately 149 Sega CD titles were released in the United States. Sega finally pulled the plug on the Sega CD in 1996.

FACT: As a result of their involvement in protests about videogames and violence, Sega was the first to develop video game ratings on their Sega CD titles. Click HERE for an example.

Another interesting fact is that the Sega CD had another capability not exploited by more developers. The console had limited 3D polygon capability. The only Sega CD title that took advantage of this capability was Silpheed released in 1993.

Whats the greatest SegaCD/MegaCD Game Ever ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Got a Console we havent reviewed or want to do a better review then please Post them Here

Previous History Topics:

3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?
    Amstrad GX4000 a History & Whats the greatest Amstrad's GX4000 Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Atari 5200 a History & Whats the greatest Atari 5200 Game Ever ?
    Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?
    Colecovision a History & Whats the greatest Colecovision Game Ever ?
    Emerson Arcadia 2001 a History
    FM Towns Marty a History & Whats Your Favourite Game
    Intellivision a History & Whats the greatest Intellivision Game Ever ?
    Neo Geo a History & Whats the greatest Neo Geo Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?
    PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Sega 32X a History & Whats the greatest 32X Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sega Master System a History & Whats the greatest Master System Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Treamcast - The Unnofficial Portable Dreamcast History
    WonderMega/ JVC X'Eye A History
    Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?

Eternal Champions CD and Skull Keep: Dungeon Master 2

In Eternal Champions you had FMV Kill scenes and many hidden cameras. One of the bet fighting games simply for being innovative.

Now Skull Keep, where do I begin. A first person RPG where you gt to chose from the start 3 of the 4 members of your group. You could train every team member to perform in all classes. The shops not only accepted money but also ran a barter system. So much more to add here. If you've never played it do yourself the favor and try it out.

DCEmu Newbie

Snatcher is my favourite game on the MegaCD. Everyone should go check it out!

Hello:

The best Sega CD ever, for me, is Sonic CD.

DCEmu Rookie

Let's add Ecco the Dolphin to the list as the Sega CD had a great updated version of the Genesis smash hit. I love that game and have it on CD for my PC. I loved the updated Dreamcast version as well. Another game that sticks out in my mind is the Adventures of Willy Beamish. A great Sierra Cartoon Adventure Game. I haven't played the Sega CD version but have the deluxe cd version on PC and it is good too. Wait, wait, one more coming to mind Prince of Persia on CD, what more can I say!

lunar

Blog Entries

Sonic CD, although I've only played it on the PS2.

Though WWF: Rage in a Cage was spectacular for it's day (including video clips), plus Spider-Man because there was actual voice unlike the cartridge version. I never had much interest otherwise in the MegaCD, which is why I picked mine up in 1999 for the cheap price of £25 with both games.

Final Fight CD rocked (all players selectable, additional cut scenes, voice acting, levels, new music etc not seen on any other version).

Sonic CD was pretty cool too.

DCEmu Newbie

Default Hii

Hello...

DCEmu Newbie

sega is the best...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information