Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn a History & Whats the greatest Saturn Game Ever ?

Blog Entries

Home/News Sega Saturn a History & Whats the greatest Saturn Game Ever ?

Continuing our network wide feature for just about every console thats emulated and that we own, in time it can be used as a reference point for people to look at what games are the very best on each system

Firstly heres a look at each system and a description to remind you of the history of the console.

Sega Saturn

In development for 2 to 3 years by Sega of Japan, The project known merely as GigaDrive (A word play for a more powerful Megadrive) began with a goal of being the most powerful 2D console to date with 3D capability based on their arcade Model 1 hardware.

Initially the goal was to surpass another CD-based console called the 3DO. In November of 1993, technical specs for 32-bit CD-based console by Sony had surfaced. Not being pleased with the projects 3D capability (compared to Sony’s), Sega of Japan’s engineers scrambled to improve on the design.

Using planet-naming conventions used for their other projects (Like Mars and Neptune), the new console was called the Sega Saturn. It was released in Japan on November 22nd 1994, and was an immediate success. Sega had finally made a serious mark in Japan by even surpassing their long-term rival Nintendo (Sega consoles were more successful in the US markets in the past).

They would however have to face a new contender to the market. Sony finally released the Playstation, and used their financial stability (deep ass pockets) to produce a strong marketing campaign, garner the attention of 3rd party developers, and purchase exclusive rights to game titles. Sony ambitiously cornered popular game genres in Japan, but Sega countered with impressive 2D shooters, fighting games, and hentai titles (those Japanese...hahaha). The Saturn still sold remarkably well, and so Sega set their eyes on other markets.

The original scheduled release for the US Saturn was supposed to be ‘Saturnday’ September 2nd 1995. However with the Sony Playstation US premier looming over the horizon, Sega chose to release their console 4 months sooner (May 11th, 1995). They got the jump on the market that they needed, but caught developers off guard. The console was released with a high $399 price tag, and a lack of 3rd Party software titles.

Even after the stinging failure of the 32X, the Saturn still managed to sell pretty well initially. However, the Sony Playstation was eventually released for $100 cheaper, and eventually took over the US market. The Saturn failed to capture the success it garnered in Japan. So what happened?

The Saturn boasted an amazing amount of processors including it’s dual Hitachi CPU processors. However, this caused problems in game development. Apparently the two CPU’s did not run in tandem, and could not access memory at the same time. The complexity either caused developers to shy away from the Saturn, or develop games in a manner that didn’t fully utilize the systems capabilities (3rd Party developers initially designed games only using a single processor). Eventually developers found away around Saturn’s complexity, but not soon enough.

Another contributing factor to Saturn's struggle in America was Sega of America's management. Sega’s mishandling and eventual abandonment of 32X had already damaged Sega’s credibility. The early release left some retail stores without Saturn stock, and the initial high price did not help sales. Also, Sega of America did a piss poor job of advertising the Sega Saturn. They also made the mistake of not bringing many quality Japanese Saturn game titles over to the United States. Eventually the market grew more hostile with the release of Nintendo’s 64-bit ‘next generation’ system.

The Saturn may not have done well in the American market, but in Japan the Saturn was a hot item. The console saw amazing game titles, which also became hot imports in America and Europe. The hardware specs were also licensed out to component manufacturers allowing them the ability to build their own model Saturns, and spread the console out further. These models were available in Japan only.

Shown above is the V-Saturn, which was developed by JVC. It is technically a clone of the Saturn with a different outward appearance, a different boot screen, and Photo CD reading compatibility with a JVC Twin Operator card. The Hi-Saturn was developed by Hitachi, and had native MPEG decompression for viewing VCD (Video CD). Another Hitachi model was released that also contained a modem, LCD play screen, and built in navigation systems for use in vehicles. Finally a Skeleton Saturn was released with a case that showcased the units circuitry.

All in all Saturn was an amazing console that produced beautiful 2D gaming, and brilliant 3D titles toward the end of it’s life cycle. Saturn was supported in the US until 1998 and in Japan until 1999.

FACT: One of the more innovative concepts of the Saturn was the cartridge slot. The slot itself was not meant for gaming, but could be used in a variety of ways (EXAMPLES). The more common uses were for an external memory cart for save game portability, and for cheat devices such as the ‘Game Shark’. However the slot was also used for Sega Netlink. This was a 28.8 modem built in a cart that could be used to access the web, check email, and even play someone online who also has Netlink. Another use that was never seen outside of Japan were RAM carts. These carts provided the Saturn with up to 4Mb additional RAM for better and more fluid sprite animation in certain select games. Goes to show some of the things we missed out on in America.

Whats the greatest Sega Saturn Game Ever ?

More DCEmu Console History Can Be Found Here

Got a Console we havent reviewed or want to do a better review then please Post them Here

Previous History Topics:

3DO a History & Whats the greatest 3DO Game Ever ?
    Amstrad GX4000 a History & Whats the greatest Amstrad's GX4000 Game Ever ?
    Atari2600 a History & Whats the greatest Atari2600 Game Ever ?
    Atari 5200 a History & Whats the greatest Atari 5200 Game Ever ?
    Atari Jaguar a History & Whats the greatest Atari Jaguar Game Ever ?
    Colecovision a History & Whats the greatest Colecovision Game Ever ?
    Emerson Arcadia 2001 a History
    FM Towns Marty a History & Whats Your Favourite Game
    Intellivision a History & Whats the greatest Intellivision Game Ever ?
    Neo Geo a History & Whats the greatest Neo Geo Game Ever ?
    Nintendo 64 a History & Whats the greatest Nintendo 64 Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Gamecube a History & Whats the greatest Gamecube Game Ever ?
    Nintendo NES / Famicom a History & Whats the greatest NES Game Ever ?
    Nintendo Snes a History & Whats the greatest Snes Game Ever ?
    PC Engine a History & Whats the greatest PC Engine Game Ever ?
    Sega 32X a History & Whats the greatest 32X Game Ever ?
    Sega Dreamcast a History & Whats the greatest Dreamcast Game Ever ?
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive a History & Whats the greatest Game Ever ?
    Sega Master System a History & Whats the greatest Master System Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation a History & Whats the greatest PSone Game Ever ?
    Sony Playstation2 a History & Whats the greatest PS2 Game Ever ?
    Treamcast - The Unnofficial Portable Dreamcast History
    WonderMega/ JVC X'Eye A History
    Xbox a History & Whats the greatest Xbox Game Ever ?

Only one i still play is Sega Rally.

DCEmu Newbie

Dragon Force. Hands Down.

DCEmu Rookie

Wow you guys come on, Sega Rally, I mean really. It's a good game, but man there are so many better games on the Saturn. I would have to go with Panzer Dragoon Saga as my #1 then here are my top 10

10. House of the Dead
    9. Pandemonium
    8. Alberts Odyssee
    7. Saturn Bomberman (up to 10 players)
    6. Worlds Series Baseball (best baseball at the time)
    5. Magic Knights Rayearth
    4. Quake (everyone said it couldn't be done on Saturn)
    3. Saturn Bomberman Fight! (Japan Only)
    2. Nights Into Dreams
    1. Panzer Dragoon Saga

But anyway I have over 100 original Saturn games and most of them are pretty good except for a lot of the 3D games like Duke Nukem, Doom, and Tomb Raiders (this is where the Playstation outshined the Saturn). The Saturn really shined at 2D games.

Another game I never had that should be on the list is X-Men vs Street Fighter a Japanese Capcom game that used a 4meg memory cartridge to play!

Yeah i guess it's technically not the best Saturn game but i dunno i just enjoy playing more than others and that's what's really important.

DCEmu Rookie

I really wasn't trying to slam Sega Rally or you just pointing out what good games there are on the Saturn and that richness carried over into the Dreamcast. I have Sega Rally 2 on my PC installed right now. Have you played Sega Rally 2 on PC or the Dreamcast I just love that game. A lot better than Test Drive Offroad. And yes I have Sega Rally on the Saturn and loved Daytona USA as well as Virtua Racing too. Although the graphics in Virtua Racing are pretty dated as it was an arcade game that was made for Genesis and 32x.

For the record Sega Makes the Best Damn Games on the Planet Period!!!!!!

Sonic Rules!!!!

DCEmu Newbie

The Saturn version of SotN. Wasn't that much different from the PS version but it was a good game on the Saturn

DCEmu Newbie

Segata Sanshiro!

DCEmu Newbie

Over 1000 games never made it out of Japan. Out of the stuff I've played I'd either say Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun.

Daytona USA and Radiant Silvergun are my all-time faves...

I like Panzer Dragoon I & II, Burning Rangers, the un-realeased Return Fire port, Castlevania DraculaX (SOTN), Saturn Bomberman, Nights into Dreams... among a couple of others...

and I have a bunch of fighting games but they either require the 1meg or 4 meg RAM cart, that SUX!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information