Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

DCEmu Newbie

I'm still not sure how a change in resitance would make a difference?

Do I need to apply power to the cable? If the resistance changes, how does that tell me which pin is which?

Sorry i'm a mechanical engineer not an electrical one

EDIT:

I understand it now. Use the pinout to identify the correct pin and put the multimeter on the end of the wires to find out which wire belongs to which pin. Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by vibez
    I'm still not sure how a change in resitance would make a difference?

Do I need to apply power to the cable? If the resistance changes, how does that tell me which pin is which?

Sorry i'm a mechanical engineer not an electrical one

EDIT:

I understand it now. Use the pinout to identify the correct pin and put the multimeter on the end of the wires to find out which wire belongs to which pin. Thanks
    Anyone, and I mean, anyone can build a conductivity meter from 2 stripes of wire 1 battery and 1 LED...

just simply connect 1 stripe to the negative pole of the battery, connect the positive pole (longer lead) of the LED to the positive pole of the battery and finally connect the other stripe to the negative pole of the LED - that’s it!

Now whenever you connect both ends to a conducting peace (close the circuitry) the LED must light up and you know which is connected were...

My GPS works like a charm, with my DIY cable...

I made it form a piece of doublesided PCB and a stereo jack from old headphones...

I started cutting the PCB's with a Dremel but that didn't work out well, so I switch to a blade cutter to make thinner cuts...

here are the results:

DCEmu Newbie

i will pay someone 10 dollars for a cord already made in this tutorial for the same GPS deniska is using.

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dblock110
    i will pay someone 10 dollars for a cord already made in this tutorial for the same GPS deniska is using.
    I don't think you'll get many takers on that offer.

The materials alone cost more than $10. So you're basically asking someone to buy you a remote cord, a mini-usb cord, do all the work and shell about $15 out of their own pocket for you, not including shipping.

Here's a list of what's needed for materials as a reminder:
    - Intec G6704 PSP Remote Control (~$11).
    - USB (Mini B) cable ($5-10)
    - 1K 1/4watt resistor (>$1)
    - Electric tape ($2 roll)

However, if you're going to supply all the materials and pay for shipping both ways you might get someone to do it.

By the way, you double posted this over here.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by dblock110
    Well I would like to help you but it's dificult to do that for such amout (I live in Europe, Portugal), so at the actual conversion rates that give around 8€, sending to US at least 5€ (optimistic...) so I have 3€ to buy a miniB usb cable... If I add the amout of time to buy a cable, go to postal offices, and make the build (not counting weld, electricity, PCB,...)... And I'm talking about a DIY cable not the one DENISKA made with a refurbished PSP remote connector (just that costs $11)... get Real!

Why don't we make this way: YOU try to build one your own that we're here to help!!! It isn't that hard, I can tell...

DCEmu Newbie

just finished my cable. i made mine using the psp oem remote. for some reason i couldnt get it to work w/ the resistor. i tried my luck and hooked it up w/o it. it seems to be working perfect but im not sure if i should leave it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blac OrKhiD
    just finished my cable. i made mine using the psp oem remote. for some reason i couldnt get it to work w/ the resistor. i tried my luck and hooked it up w/o it. it seems to be working perfect but im not sure if i should leave it like that.
    GPSlim 236 has a pretty wide TX voltage range (3-5) range. yours is probably close to 3 V..
    To be on a safe side, you may want to try putting 500 Om resistor just to me on a safe side...

DCEmu Newbie

This is very cool Deniska. I am looking for a psp app I can use on the golf course. Is there anything I can use to plot out points on a golf course and give me distances to those points?

Quote Originally Posted by mahoney
    This is very cool Deniska. I am looking for a psp app I can use on the golf course. Is there anything I can use to plot out points on a golf course and give me distances to those points?
    Not currently, but I may include these features in future releases...

Thread Information