Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

the psp will not give enough power to power a gps unit from the serial port. the Holux GPSlim236 used in this setup here has its own battery. the one you have gps360 does not have a battery it gets its power from the usb when u plug it into the computer.

DCEmu Newbie

OK

so i will need to work another battery solution...

thanks for clearing that up for me.

no prob

DCEmu Newbie

Hi, Just saw the videos of this that hit all the PSP news sites today, Must have been on vacation the firs time around to have not seen this project sooner. I just ripped up my PSP's Remote cable, i never use it anyway so it's not close to a huge deal, And i had the problems getting that damned plastic insulation or whatever they put around the connectors, and it ripped the wires. I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what colors go where, and which are actualy Used. If a Big picture can be supplied it would help a bit more. I'm Partialy Color blind so the small pictures are a bit difficult for me to tell the diffrences on the cables. One i found seems to show only the GND and Blue are being used? Is this true? If so which destinguishing color is the ground? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by crater
    Hi, Just saw the videos of this that hit all the PSP news sites today, Must have been on vacation the firs time around to have not seen this project sooner. I just ripped up my PSP's Remote cable, i never use it anyway so it's not close to a huge deal, And i had the problems getting that damned plastic insulation or whatever they put around the connectors, and it ripped the wires. I'm hoping someone can clue me in on what colors go where, and which are actualy Used. If a Big picture can be supplied it would help a bit more. I'm Partialy Color blind so the small pictures are a bit difficult for me to tell the diffrences on the cables. One i found seems to show only the GND and Blue are being used? Is this true? If so which destinguishing color is the ground? thanks.

As I said before, I do not recommend to make any connections based on color of the wires...

Buy/borrow a multi-tester @ radioshack (or any electronics parts store) and measure the resistance between the cable connector pins and the wires on the other side of the cable...
    I bought my tester at radioshack and returned it next day... ;-)

You can even create a "tester tool" yourself out of a small low voltage bulb, 2 wires and a battery...

like deniska said..
    when i soldered my wires, i didn't even see a difference between 2 colors. it is very much safer if you test the wires before. everything else could result in a brick :/

crater i was also like you if your read the thread i asked for colors so i can hook my gps up, i just used my 10 dollar multimeter i got a while ago at radio shack, and if you noticed i didn't solder my cable up, if you want to do the same you will have to strip your psp remote very carful don't stech the cable or anything it will just make it harder to strip the inside wires, instead just get a sharp blade and use that to strip the outer wire. now the kinda hard part the inside wires are very small and they are coated with this streachy metiral, use ur teeth, get a good grip on the wire, but not to hard where when you pull it will rip the main wire* and pull. if you do this right you should be good to go. thats what i did do it at your own risk im not responsible if you mess anything up

DCEmu Newbie

Alright, I already have a mutlimeeter/tester, so i'm set on that. I'm just looking for the cable from the GPS's USB cable that's sending the information then? Sounds easy enough. Thanks.

your welceom, all you need for that cable is a usb mini b head, for example the psp data cable has that head*don't use that one lol* also a lot of flash mp3 players have that head some digital cams have that head for data transfer

DCEmu Newbie

Greetings,

Just wanted to let you know I just ordered the Holux GPSlim236 and I have everything ready when the unit arrives.

I am going to be having an identical setup as seesoe let me know if I can be of any help.

- Jay

Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information