Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

DCEmu Newbie

I just order the Holux GPSlim236 from amazon it should be here on Monday and know I am stuck and need help with the cable part. Do I take a any USB cable that is from A to B connection? Please help! Thanks.

DCEmu Newbie

Exclamation

Deniska can I ask you the step on how to take apart and build that cable please help!!! I am very lost on building the cable

Quote Originally Posted by fubarms
    I just order the Holux GPSlim236 from amazon it should be here on Monday and know I am stuck and need help with the cable part. Do I take a any USB cable that is from A to B connection? Please help! Thanks.
    Any usb cable with miniB conector will do..
    just make sure it's for data transfer...some power cables (motorolla phones power chargers, etc) have same connector, but don't have all data wires inside the cable, to make it thinner...
    The rest is pretty simple - slash usb cable and psp remote cable; figure thich wires go to the required pins and connect them thru a resistor...

Quote Originally Posted by schandir
    This is what the pinout looks like from the GPS:
    1 - GND
    2 - USB Data+
    3 - USB Data-
    4 - +5V
    5 - RS232 RXD
    6 - RS232 TXD
    7 - RS232 DTR
    8 - +5v
    9 - GND
    10 -
    11 -
    12 - SHIELD
    The ones in BOLD are the ones that are going to the USB. So to sum it up, you are trying to say to connect Pin 6 from the GPS to the PSP and Pin 1 or 9 or both? from GPS to the PSP and then hook up an external power source to pin 4 or 8 or both? The GPS gets its power normally from the laptop with pin 1 and 4 since it hooks up to the usb. So i am assuming to hook up the power to those wires and then the GND from pin 1 to the PSP also...
    Use pins 1&4 for power and 1&6 for psp connection
    make sure you put a resistor - looks like your device may transmit 5V signal - which must be lowered...

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    Use pins 1&4 for power and 1&6 for psp connection
    make sure you put a resistor - looks like your device may transmit 5V signal - which must be lowered...
    Alright, I did as you said but when I start the GPS Viewer program is get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS". I am using a 3K resistor and the GPS is getting its power from the USB. The + and - data wire has been disconnected. I also tried without the resistor and that did not work either. I tested the signal wire and i am getting from 0V-2V approx. The psp is not seeing the GPS... I also tried A Fn Noob's eboot for 4800 GPS and that did not work either...

DCEmu Newbie

So I get any usb cable that I have, and I have a sony USB cable and how can you tell is for data transfer and not power cable? So when you say slash the usb cable do you mean cut out the connector A part off and use the wires in the cable? Also I can use the OEM original remote control all I need is the end part yes?

Quote Originally Posted by schandir
    Alright, I did as you said but when I start the GPS Viewer program is get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS". I am using a 3K resistor and the GPS is getting its power from the USB. The + and - data wire has been disconnected. I also tried without the resistor and that did not work either. I tested the signal wire and i am getting from 0V-2V approx. The psp is not seeing the GPS... I also tried A Fn Noob's eboot for 4800 GPS and that did not work either...
    Try to run it with serial port echo program distributed with lua player for PSP and see if you get any data at all...
    You may also try pin5 (RXD) instead of pin 6 - recieve/transmit could be confusing since it's not clear which end-device they specify it for GPS or PC.

How did you measure the signal amplitude? - most cheap testers would not give you the correct results - since they may be too slow for the frequency of the signal... btw, psp would need 2.5V signal, but again your device probably have 3V if not higher output.. so use caution...

Quote Originally Posted by fubarms
    So I get any usb cable that I have, and I have a sony USB cable and how can you tell is for data transfer and not power cable? So when you say slash the usb cable do you mean cut out the connector A part off and use the wires in the cable? Also I can use the OEM original remote control all I need is the end part yes?
    Use that cable to connect psp to PC - if it works - chances are you have all required wires...

Yes cut out the connector and use the wires inside...and please don't ask which colors... - you need to buy/borrow a multitester to findout which wire connected to which pin.
    Btw, if you really clueless about this stuff, you may want to find some electronics/tv repair shop in your area, pay them a few bucks - and they will do it for ya... ;-)

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    Try to run it with serial port echo program distributed with lua player for PSP and see if you get any data at all...
    You may also try pin5 (RXD) instead of pin 6 - recieve/transmit could be confusing since it's not clear which end-device they specify it for GPS or PC.

How did you measure the signal amplitude? - most cheap testers would not give you the correct results - since they may be too slow for the frequency of the signal... btw, psp would need 2.5V signal, but again your device probably have 3V if not higher output.. so use caution...
    Alright I tried using the serial port echo and i get a whole bunch of gibberish so i am guessin its giving me something. This was without a resistor.

I measured it with a pretty expencive multimeter but i would only see the jump for a second or so...

DCEmu Newbie

Can I follow http://www.home.no/xern/gpsmap60c-psp.jpg picture and I took apart my OEM control and the usb cable know I just need to buy the 1K.

Thread Information