Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

yep, your gps did not lock on any satelites yet..
    it takes ~40sec for GPSlim to get the lock in clear skies, assuming your dont move the unit during the acquisition period.
    The time is GMT (assuming it had a lock, overwise it's some garbage)

If you continue having difficulties locking on satelites, consider changing the unit. Unfortunately, there are reports of many defective gpslim236 units outthere...
    The good thing - your communication part & cable work ok ;-)

DCEmu Newbie

Yay, its working finally. Turns out I simply didn't give the GPSlim enough time to lock onto to the satellites. Thanks guys for the help

Deniska, you did an awesome job on this, you got my vote for the competition ^^

DCEmu Newbie

I got my GPSlim unit made my cable and the GPS screen works like a chamr I haven't loaded up Map This ! but will be trying that tongiht. Thanks for the info and help this thing rocks.

I have a noob question about testing the voltage from the GPS Unit. How do I test this with my mulitimeter ? Like where does the Red pin go and where does the black pin go to test the output voltage to make sure everything is good. Like I said all works I just want to make sure on the voltage, I am far from an electircal engineer, thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_bk
    I got my GPSlim unit made my cable and the GPS screen works like a chamr I haven't loaded up Map This ! but will be trying that tongiht. Thanks for the info and help this thing rocks.

I have a noob question about testing the voltage from the GPS Unit. How do I test this with my mulitimeter ? Like where does the Red pin go and where does the black pin go to test the output voltage to make sure everything is good. Like I said all works I just want to make sure on the voltage, I am far from an electircal engineer, thanks guys.
    I don't think you can get an accurate voltage reading with a multimeter in this case... the idea is to start with high resistor values (say, 5K) and keep lowering the resistence until you get a stable reading...

DCEmu Newbie

I think I have a stable reading on your green screen if that is what you mean. Work fine no problems. I just wanted to make sure the volatge comign from the GPSlim through my cable with the 1k resitor was doing ok, from what you replied I gather I can't get this reading from a multimeter.

DCEmu Newbie

so.. I have actually received my Holux gpSlim 236 and neither the Greenscreen Programm nor the MapView is working with it...

I made the data Cable with an 2 KOhm resistor... but there is no reaction in the Greenscreen Programm or in MapView itself!!

so.. I tested the Cable with an Multimeter and its just fine wired and soldered....

And the GpSlim locked on satellites....

so.. is it because i used a 2KOhm resistor??
    Or did it work for someone with a higher valued resistor than 1KOhm?

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka
    so.. I have actually received my Holux gpSlim 236 and neither the Greenscreen Programm nor the MapView is working with it...

I made the data Cable with an 2 KOhm resistor... but there is no reaction in the Greenscreen Programm or in MapView itself!!

so.. I tested the Cable with an Multimeter and its just fine wired and soldered....

And the GpSlim locked on satellites....

so.. is it because i used a 2KOhm resistor??
    Or did it work for someone with a higher valued resistor than 1KOhm?
    There are reports from someone that even using GPSlim236 the only way to make it work was WITHOUT any resistor (while using stripped sony's remote)

DCEmu Newbie

so.. i found now my 1KOkm resistor and soldered it and now it's working.....

So.. I think... with resistors above 1Kohm it does not work!!!!!

Yeehaaa...
    I get it finally working!!!
    Thanks to all who helped me!!!
    especially fokia !!!

greets kamatschka

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka
    so.. i found now my 1KOkm resistor and soldered it and now it's working.....

So.. I think... with resistors above 1Kohm it does not work!!!!!

Yeehaaa...
    I get it finally working!!!
    Thanks to all who helped me!!!
    especially fokia !!!

greets kamatschka
    I'm gad you made it!!!!

DCEmu Newbie

FYI

I used an official Sony Remote + a Pelican USB cable ($4.99 from walmart) and a 1k ohm 1/4 resistor with the GPSLim 236, everything is working fine.

Thread Information