Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

DCEmu Newbie

I'm not shure if it does work without... i didn't used it on my mobile Phone...

I'm going to buy some resistors and then I will go solder it and post if its working without the Powersupply from the 12V connector!!

Thank you for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by kamatschka
    I'm not shure if it does work without... i didn't used it on my mobile Phone...

I'm going to buy some resistors and then I will go solder it and post if its working without the Powersupply from the 12V connector!!

Thank you for your help!
    You know that the schematic with the resistor is only to normalize voltages to data communicationn... if you want to power the GPS I'd advise you to use the adaptor until you find a way to attach a battery to it

You're on your own, now...
    Good luck, still...

DCEmu Newbie

This is so cool by far the best homebrew I have seen I voted.

Also I ordered a Holux GPS 236, I bet you made the MFG happy with all the people with PsP's ordering one.

I have a quick question about the cable and the resistor. I want to make the cable before my GPS unit arrives. Just so I make sure when I create the cable i understand the multimeter part to figure which cable go to which pins. What I don't understand is the voltage part.

Do I measure the voltage when i hook the cable up to the Holux unit ? So I wooul touch the pin on the mulitmeter on one end with teh Hloux hooked up on the other ? And this voltage should read ~2.5v ? Not over or under correct ?

Also I am just connecting 2 wires total ?

Thanks for any help guys keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_bk
    This is so cool by far the best homebrew I have seen I voted.

Also I ordered a Holux GPS 236, I bet you made the MFG happy with all the people with PsP's ordering one.

I have a quick question about the cable and the resistor. I want to make the cable before my GPS unit arrives. Just so I make sure when I create the cable i understand the multimeter part to figure which cable go to which pins. What I don't understand is the voltage part.

Do I measure the voltage when i hook the cable up to the Holux unit ? So I wooul touch the pin on the mulitmeter on one end with teh Hloux hooked up on the other ? And this voltage should read ~2.5v ? Not over or under correct ?

Also I am just connecting 2 wires total ?

Thanks for any help guys keep it up.
    The voltage (if you want/need to check) could be read between GND and TxD with the GPS on... Usually, you only need this for troubleshooting or when using a different setup/device

the resistor is only used to lower the voltage from the GPS unit to PSP RxD rating - I think it's about 2.5v.

Yes, you only need 2 wires (unilateral communication: GPS -> PSP).

DCEmu Newbie

so.. i'm going to solder it tomorrow, or better said later today!!

so.. you meen I don't need the resistors on the TxD wire between the GPS device and the PSP COnnector???

Or do I still need....

And can someone Recompile MapView with the baudrate which I need?
    It's 115200 Bit/s

I don't know how to do that... So.. thank for help!!

I'm getting closer to get this working... So.. I am really thankfull for your Help!!!

greets kamatschka

so.. i'm going to solder it tomorrow, or better said later today!!

so.. you meen I don't need the resistors on the TxD wire between the GPS device and the PSP COnnector???

Or do I still need....

And can someone Recompile MapView with the baudrate which I need?
    It's 115200 Bit/s

I don't know how to do that... So.. thank for help!!

I'm getting closer to get this working... So.. I am really thankfull for your Help!!!

greets kamatschka
    Hello, between the TxD you probably will - that depends on the output voltage from the GPS trough the transmiter (TxD) line - It's better to check it with a multimeter before troubles happen.

I must have missunderstood you: I thought you where talking about resistors to adjust voltage to power the GPS...

You dont need to recompile the program there's a config file were you can set that (and other stuff needed)

DCEmu Newbie

so.. i soldered all together but it's not really working....

I've used the 1kOhm resistor... but the MapView don't get any Data from the GPS... now I am looking for someone who can compile the GPS App with the green color which shows all the infos of the GPSdevice whith my Baud for testing!!

The GPS Device gets Power from the 12 V Connector in the Car... the GPS Device is after a couple of minutes warm.... because of that i'm sure that the GPS device gets his Power!

so... now I will solder the TxD directly without any Resistor... maybe thats the problem!!!

so.. i soldered all together but it's not really working....

I've used the 1kOhm resistor... but the MapView don't get any Data from the GPS... now I am looking for someone who can compile the GPS App with the green color which shows all the infos of the GPSdevice whith my Baud for testing!!

The GPS Device gets Power from the 12 V Connector in the Car... the GPS Device is after a couple of minutes warm.... because of that i'm sure that the GPS device gets his Power!

so... now I will solder the TxD directly without any Resistor... maybe thats the problem!!!
    I leave a compile version for 115200 I get a lot of warnings but I think it's OK (as allways, use at your own risk!), check compile log.txt...

you would be safer if check the voltages with a multimeter...

DCEmu Newbie

thank you for compiling it.....

But when I plug the connector to the PSP the Programm says that I need to connect and switch the GPS on....

could it be that the App is waiting for Datareceive on throug the PSP connector and then it knows that the connector is connected with the PSP!

So.. it could be that the sending of the data is prevented by the resistor...

I'm looking to get a Multimeter somewhere...!!

So.. already thanks for your Help!!!

thank you for compiling it.....

could it be that the App is waiting for Datareceive on throug the PSP connector and then it knows that the connector is connected with the PSP!

Yes, since communication is unidirectional it is waiting for some signal on PSP serial port.

You need to disconnect WIFI switch, and leave UMD off the tray (at least the other version don't work with)

You may need to wait for proper data

Thread Information