Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

DCEmu Newbie

I used the sony remote w/o resistor. I been using about 2 weeks, no prob

Quote Originally Posted by Blac OrKhiD
    I used the sony remote w/o resistor. I been using about 2 weeks, no prob
    Yeah, psp could probably tolerate the GPSlim236 output level in most (if not all cases), but I placed the resistor in in the public drawing just to make sure it is safe, and noone bricks the PSP because of this...

DCEmu Newbie

Default Random thoughts

I read recently that the some of the components on TA-082 motherboards operate on 1.8VDC vs 3.3VDC for TA-079, 80, 81 mobo's.

It may not be applicable for the serial port though, but you may want to make a cautionary note to TA-082 people to use caution, as I think there is a downgrader coming for those motherboards.

I imagine it will be possible to get data from USB for the Sony GPS unit. I wonder how they could prevent homebrew from accessing the USB?

The benefit to our setup is that we can use the Camera AND the gps at the same time!

I think the next version of MapThis should have a "show tracks", "save tracks", "erase tracks" feature.

Also, I mentioned a while back about an "Open" mapping project at Sourceforge. It's www.OpenStreetMaps.org It appears to be in the early stages.

Also TigerMaps is (US) a server that has free (but dated 1998) maps.

Ive got MS Streets and Trips on my laptop, that has the entire US streetmaps + poi's etc and it takes up 936mb of space. The map "data" folder is ~900mb.

What are the legalities of making a program that uses the map data of software that you legally own on a platform that it was not written for?
    (Ive also got Garmin Mapsource too)

Which leads me to one more question:
    There are tons of emulators of other gaming consoles for the PSP. Legalities aside, would it be theoretically possible to emulate some of the commercial GPS-Navigation units on the PSP?
    I think the PSP has all the processing and graphics abilities, including voice prompting (And theoretically voice commands (Look at Talkman)). The only thing not available is touch screen. (Unless an external overlay were developed).

Densika, Thank You for making MapThis!

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by deniska
    Yeah, psp could probably tolerate the GPSlim236 output level in most (if not all cases), but I placed the resistor in in the public drawing just to make sure it is safe, and noone bricks the PSP because of this...
    I wouldn't encourage anyone not to use the resistor
    I still plan on installing a resistor when i rebuilt my cable. it's better to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by A Fn NOOB
    Which leads me to one more question:
    There are tons of emulators of other gaming consoles for the PSP. Legalities aside, would it be theoretically possible to emulate some of the commercial GPS-Navigation units on the PSP?
    I think the PSP has all the processing and graphics abilities, including voice prompting (And theoretically voice commands (Look at Talkman)). The only thing not available is touch screen. (Unless an external overlay were developed).
    i have always had that idea in my head since a few days after i found mapthis news,
    i agree i think with enough hardware and programing work, the psp can emulate. the mic part would not be that hard, but maybe the part of haveing the headphone jack plugged in and not get sound out of speakers *if im niot mistaken someone from this forum is testing out how to get the sound from usb? with those docking stations, i forget exactly what it was he gonna try* touchscreen overlay is not needed just a waste of codeing and money for the overlay and hardware hack

DCEmu Newbie

Default I need help

Yea, so I was very excited that my gps came yesterday. I got the 236. Anyway, I never soldered a thing in my life. So I cut the usb and stripped it. I found the ground and the TDX wire, except it was green. Then I got the plug from the orignal psp remote. But I pulled out all the wires bc from the pic, it looked like the usb wire was soldered directly onto the plug. well, now I know thats not it and i gotta now spend anoter $10 for a remote. Anyway, what color is the wire on the remote for tdx wire? i know ground is black. Id appreciate any help

DCEmu Newbie

Finally got round to building my cable. My TXD wire was indeed green and I soldered everything straight to the headphone plug. Everything works fine Thanks to fokia who helped me with my question about working out what size resistor to use (1Kohm worked btw) and thanks to densika and in7ane

DCEmu Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jyhuh
    Yea, so I was very excited that my gps came yesterday. I got the 236. Anyway, I never soldered a thing in my life. So I cut the usb and stripped it. I found the ground and the TDX wire, except it was green. Then I got the plug from the orignal psp remote. But I pulled out all the wires bc from the pic, it looked like the usb wire was soldered directly onto the plug. well, now I know thats not it and i gotta now spend anoter $10 for a remote. Anyway, what color is the wire on the remote for tdx wire? i know ground is black. Id appreciate any help
    On my Original Sony Remote the GROUND was the BLUE wire and the TxD was the GREY Wire ......

but it could be that it's different on your Remote.....

Anyway Try to find out which wire belongs to GROUND and wich WIRE to TxD.....
    Use a Multimeter......

Greets kamatschka

DCEmu Newbie

jhuh I dont think you have done anything wrong as far as I can tell. You are soldering to the headphone plug.

The easiest way I found to make sure you have the right wires on the usb side is just to rip the covering off the large usb plug you removed and use a pinout diagram to see which color wire is conected to which pin

DCEmu Newbie

well, i did solder the wires on directly onto the plug, but its so damn small, i was afraid that the solder was touching more than one pin. I didnt want to take any chances in bricking my psp so I just thought itd be easier soldering wires together. anyway, is there a place that sells psp remote for less than $15? I looked at wal-mart... they didnt have any

Thread Information