Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

[QUOTE=Video_freak]make sure it doesnt fall off lol [QUOTE]

Two words ... Duct Tape, because it works miricles I swear God invented it.

DCEmu Newbie

Default 4800 Baud 8N1

Hi, I got a cable and GPS unit ready to go but I need help figuring out how to change the bitrate of the program from 38400 to 4800.

I have a Pharos gps-360/microsoft (sirf ii) that came with Streets & Trips with an already hacked up cable from when I was experimenting with APRS, so I put my headphone/remote cord under the knife.

I just cut the cord in the middle. The wires are very thin and hard to strip. I read a great tip somewhere that works for this - Dip the tips of each wire in a hot puddle of solder, it melts the insulation and beefs up the tip of each wire at the same time.

Anyway, I dont know much about programming a PSP. The source code has a line specifying 38400 baud. Can that be changed to 4800 and recompiled? Or is it not that simple?

Quote Originally Posted by A Fn NOOB
    Hi, I got a cable and GPS unit ready to go but I need help figuring out how to change the bitrate of the program from 38400 to 4800.

I have a Pharos gps-360/microsoft (sirf ii) that came with Streets & Trips with an already hacked up cable from when I was experimenting with APRS, so I put my headphone/remote cord under the knife.

I just cut the cord in the middle. The wires are very thin and hard to strip. I read a great tip somewhere that works for this - Dip the tips of each wire in a hot puddle of solder, it melts the insulation and beefs up the tip of each wire at the same time.

Anyway, I dont know much about programming a PSP. The source code has a line specifying 38400 baud. Can that be changed to 4800 and recompiled? Or is it not that simple?

Yeah , just change that line and type "make" (make kxploit - for 1.5 eboot)
    let me know if you run in to troubles - I'll compile it for ya....

DCEmu Newbie

I have looked at this tutorial and great work but I have few questions. I read you soldered 2 wires but in the photo I see the headphone jack is soldered to something else as well if so explain a little more if you dont mind. Or is my vision screwd up and it just the 2 wires

DCEmu Newbie

Also can We use this program to get the psp gps to work with map this 0.4.

http://www.soft32.com/download_126639.html

Simple GPS Tester will automatically detect your USB or serial GPS device and display the COM port and baud rate settings required to use it.

DCEmu Regular

Whats wrong with the green screen prog that deniska wrote?
    But then again I think it only works for a GPSlim 236.

I used it and tested mine before finishing up my cable..

DCEmu Newbie

I am so new to this it took me a little while to realize what you were saying. There is nothing wrong with the green screen he wrote I didnt know they did the same thing.I have not used any of this b4. I am considering buying the japan psp gps and was wondering if we could change some of the settings in mapthis and make a new eboot and use mapthis with psp gps.I have cygwin with psptoolchain.I see in the earlier post someone was asking about changing the baud rate in the source code.What file is that setting in as well as the com port
    I just tried to compile a new eboot and I get I get
    [ main.o ]ERROR 1
    anyone get this I looked for the main.o file didnt see it maybe that the prob

DCEmu Legend

In theory it should be possible to make MapThis work with Sony's GPS device. However there are factors of practicality to consider:

1)People would need to dump their own 3.x firmwares to get the PRXes needed for the GPS.

2)If you are using Devhook with 3.x emulation and get the Sony GPS device then you already have a working GPS solution without needing to use MapThis.

Now there is certainly a bonus to using MapThis:

1)User defined maps

As far as I know, Sony's GPS solution only has maps for Japan. Obviously thats of little use to anyone of us not living in Japan, which is where MapThis trumps Sony in that department. Using a program to download the maps of one's choosing is certainly beneficial over Sony's solution.

The map downloading program, which can be found over at Deniska's forums on this site, is a little tricky at first and I didn't get it downpat (for instance, really small streets on my maps don't have their name's displayed; I am just too lazy to screw around with it anymore). But I did get maps of my area and half of my state (NJ) so its fairly useful (and I even used the program before I had the GPS, I was sitting in the passenger seat of my friend's car directing him as we drove around).

DCEmu Newbie

Im using mapthis without the gps and have made local maps.I like it alot. I was trying to decide if I should buy the psp gps or the holux.If I can get the mapthis to work with the psp gps that would be great.It is probably easier to just make the cable.
    One last question where is the code ( which file ) to change the baud rate because Im probly going to buy the holux 240
    Being able to make your own maps is very good reason

NEVERMIND I found it config.txt thx
    So in theory I can change the baud rate in config.txt to 4800 and use the holux 240???

DCEmu Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam1 View Post
    NEVERMIND I found it config.txt thx
    So in theory I can change the baud rate in config.txt to 4800 and use the holux 240???
    I suppose so, I haven't really done anything with Config.txt, so I don't know for certain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information