Thread: VDIGI releases VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

Rev VDIGI releases VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor

We were just informed by VDIGI that they have just released VD-W3 Wii HDMI Upscaler Processor. This is the world first dedicated Wii HDMI Upscaler, it can support connection though HDMI or DVI, and enjoy resolution up to 1080p or monitor resolution 1680x1050.
    • For DVI monitor users, you may need to order the optional Female DVI to Male HDMI converter, so that you can plug your monitor DVI end to the VD-W3 HDMI end for the video, and for audio, you may connect your PC speaker 3.5mm plug to the VD-W3 audio jack.
    • For HDTV users (make sure you have HDMI input), what you need is a HDMI cable, you may purchase it together with VD-W3.

VD-W3 HDMI Upscaler Processor is available now for US$75.00 plus shipping.

Specs
    • Input: Wii AV Connector x 1, USB Type A Plug x 1.
    • Output: HDMI x1 , 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack.
    • Video In Supported: EDTV (480i/576i), SDTV (480p/576p)
    • Video Out Supported : 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1650x1050 (at refresh rate 59.94Hz)
    • Audio Out: HDMI audio, Analog audio.
    • Bi-Color LED: Blue and Red.
    • Operating Temperature: 5°C to 60°C (41°F to 140°F)
    • Dimensions (approximate): 12cm (L) x 7cm (W) x 2.5cm (H)
    • Mass (approximate): ~180g

Powerful Video Signal conversion
    • Crystal shape image, Outstanding picture quality.
    • Full HD (1080p) output.
    • True 10-Bits high definition video scaler engine.
    • AV grade scaler engine

User Friendly
    • No external power required.
    • Easy to setup.
    • LED status indication.

Wide Range Video Display support
    • Support TV (HDMI) and PC Monitor (DVI).
    • HDMI-Audio and Analog audio out.
    • Various HDTV video out.
    • Native resolution for LCD monitor.

*UPDATE*

Here are some update comparison shots of 480p and 1080p from manufacturer. You can view additional screenshots here.

Here we have some photos that may provide more ideas on how the difference between 480p and 1080p (after upscaled)

we use our Samsung 22" widescreen monitor for demonstration, please notice the zoom in pictures, pay attention on the curve edge, details of the fonts and graphics for 480p and 1080p

Comparison #1:
    Left hand side is 480p and Right hand side is 1080p, Click for the below pictures to display the bigger image (~1.5MB in each file size, longer download time may needed)

Left hand side is 480p zoom in and Right hand side is 1080p zoom in, Click for the below pictures to display the bigger image (~700KB in each file size, longer download time may needed)

Comparison #2:

Left hand side is 480p and Right hand side is 1080p, Click for the below pictures to display the bigger image (~1.5MB in each file size, longer download time may needed)

Left hand side is 480p zoom in and Right hand side is 1080p zoom in, Click for the below pictures to display the bigger image (~700KB in each file size, longer download time may needed)

Source: Email / VDIGI

Images via comments.
    Last edited by bandit; April 6th, 2010 at 20:58.
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

DCEmu Newbie

Please be sure to include information about any input lag introduced by the unit. Impressions are good; hard data in milliseconds is better, but it may not be easy (or possible) to get that. I sent VDIGI a question about it, but the sales person who responded merely said that its is "not noticeable".

Of course, we can't expect it to make the image look like the Wii is naturally outputting at 1080p, but i have high hopes that it can at least transcode to HDMI and upscale the resolution without a significant delay, if it's designed well.

I was JUST thinking about getting a component > VGA device or similar when they announced this. What timing! Too bad they sold out on the first day. At least i'll get to read reviews before buying.
    Last edited by Corrodias; March 25th, 2010 at 07:56.

Reviews Webmaster/Reviewer bandit's Avatar

I will be testing it on my Dell 24" HD monitor via DVI and my Samsung 32" HDTV via HDMI.

We'll also compare with regular component cable on the HDTV. After we posted this news, other websites started to link back to DCEmu and people started to go to VDIGI's website and snatched their remaining stock (they had about 52 in stock) and was sold out within hours!
    Follow us (1KIND Photography): Website | YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
    Follow Us (DCEmu Reviews): YouTube | Facebook | Twitter

This looks good. If it performs well enough with no lag, then who'd need a newer Hi-Def Wii? Hope to see the results soon!

DCEmu Newbie

I have been told that the VD-W3 introduces about 8ms of lag. That's not bad, half a frame at 60hz, certainly better than the internal scalers used by most televisions in regular mode, and probably extremely competitive with what they can do in game mode.

I believe this information comes from the development team, via a sales rep.

Thread Information