Thread: ps1 dead? help!!

Default ps1 dead? help!!

Hi!, I know this shouldnt be in a ps2 forum, but i need help on this. I recently modded a ps1 and upon completeing the mod reassembled it, hooked it up to the tv, powered on and nothing. (i bought the chip from here: http://www.mod-chip.bz/catalog/steal...chip-p-41.html) here is the installation diagrams: http://www.mod-chip.bz/Playstation/installe.html. screen flicks when power is turned on or off and the tv seems to be getting a sync signal. opened the case checked all my wireing, found id read the wrong wireing scheme but with only one wire diffrent. (i'd wired it for the stelth2 diagram instaead of the stelth ps1)
    tested again, did exactly the same as before. disconnected the power supply from the mainboard, tested, 3.3v line @ 3.45v, 7.6v line @ 7.9v. making a strange sparking sound. tested the 3.3v power wire to the modchip, 0v??! found a blown surface mount fuse @.75a wired a 0.5a fuse across its terminals. 3.3v @ modchip power pin. reassembled, tested black screen , no sound. removed power supply, powered on, made a sparking noise, then died. no power to any pin, main fuse blown.

so my question is, if i build a new power supply, will the main board work, or is it fried?

Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries

The main board will be dead, I know because I've had many PlayStation consoles and changing all the other pieces doesn't help.

Your best bet is to find another PlayStation console, which luckily they are cheap.

Default re:

oh. any idea what causes it? only i wouldnt have thought soldering a modchip onto the board would beable to fry the entire mainbard.

EDIT:-----------------------------

When testing the power supply board (when it still worked) i got 0.5v @ the reset pin (i think its the reset pin) with the reset button realesed 0.0v pressed. this pin connects directly to the controller chip in the smps which is the chip i think would cause the power supply to fail in the way it did. i would have thought as the cpu runs off 3.3v reset would be 3.3v realesed, 0v pressed. the fault im haveing looks just like the reset button is pressed continuously. just a thought, but im gonna try a homemade psu and see what happens.

also, can someone varify the pinouts i have tested and tell me if there correct? thanks!

closest edge of psu board to main board.
    ------------------------------
    | . . . . . | |
    _______ pwr sw|
    1 5

1 - reset (actave low tested .5v noreset, 0v reset pressed)
    2 - gnd
    3 - 3.3v (tested 3.5v)
    4 - gnd
    5 - 7.6v (tested 7.9v)
    Last edited by The4thMark; April 17th, 2010 at 03:10. Reason: had another idea

Blog Entries

I seriously have no idea, but when I used to mix and match the components of my PlayStation consoles it was always the board and not the control port like what I then thought at the time... Something on the main board of certain models would just give.

Quote Originally Posted by VampDude View Post
    I seriously have no idea, but when I used to mix and match the components of my PlayStation consoles it was always the board and not the control port like what I then thought at the time... Something on the main board of certain models would just give.
    after im sure ive got the pinout right, im gonna go for the homamade psu. what have i got to lose?

Blog Entries

Nothing to lose, since it's dead...

And like the song in Burnout Paradise (whatever it is?)... "If you've got nothing to lose, then you've got it all".

just downloaded a technical manual for scph-7052 (or summit klike that...) and in the power supply scematic the pin i called reset is called mout. it connects directly to tyhe controller chip which itself connects directly to the reset swich. somehow i get the feeling it doesnt just carry a reset signall.

Thread Information