Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: PSPVBA: GameBoy Advance Emulator for PSP v1.2.2

DCEmu Rookie

thank you so much for your efforts.

ZX: have u thought about making a dynamic recompiler core for the ARM cpu? Surely that would speed the emulator alot. I know it's a lot of work though, but I think it's the only way to achieve full speed or at least playable speed. It's useless for N64 emus anyway, they'll never get to sth playable, but I think in GBA it would really be very useful.
    Another idea is to a datfile with speedhacks for single games, like snesadvance or SnesTYL do, or even the old crappy UltraHLE. The DRC is a better way to go though.
    Don't get it as a complain though, it's a very well coded and complete emulator, kudos to u, it's just it's too ambitious project for a system like a psp.

DCEmu Newbie

good job!!!thanks!!!

thanks again man. i kno evr1 waz ichin 4 dis......r u evry gonna think of multiplayer soon

PSP User

It seems only two things can be done now to result in a big speedup:

1. See what Miemt11 has done to his emulator, and see if any of the same optimizations can be done to this. (Could be that all his optimizations have already been done in the emulator, but maybe he got some that haven't been done.)

2. Write a dynamic recompiler (would probably end up in fullspeed (or neat it) and good sound, but would take a ton of coding.

There may be some more things that can be done, but the two above (mainly number 2) would probably end up in a very big improvement in the emulation, whereas the other small things that might possibly still be there would speed it up, but not greatly like a dynamic recompiler.

Remember though, zx doesn't have to do this. He releases the source code with every release meaning some other great coder could pick it up (PSMonkey? hehe).

Anyway, excellent job thus far zx.

people i notice....cuz i tested them both with the exact same settings.....1.50 an 2.++ versions
    POKEMON EMERALD VERSION pspvba 1.2.2

1.50 faster gud sound improvement but lil crakky

2.++ slightly slower than 1.50...but still fast wayyy bettr sound

perfect settings sound yes
    frame skip 2
    turbo 2
    disable sfx no
    arm tick 5 (if this is more than 5 when entering battle it will freeze )

Quote Originally Posted by jOeBrO
    pkmusicmaker: hey man zx-81 has worked day and night losing sleep on this emulator,

he is the most dedicated and most taleneted coder i know and if he is struggling with getting it to fullspeed every other coder will have at least the same or even more trouble getting this emulator to fullspeed

hes worked very hard ot get this emulator this far

thanks for all your hard work ZX!!
    I'm not sure why you thought I was bashing ZX in a post where I thanked him.

ZX-81 please dont say this is the end, these releases have been outstanding every time I boot up and see a new emulator my heart skips a beat. Some of the suggestions above seem possible such as writing a dynamic recompiler, surely there will be another coder out there willing to give you a hand. Dont give up, I believe in you.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrulz555
    ZX-81 please dont say this is the end, these releases have been outstanding every time I boot up and see a new emulator my heart skips a beat. Some of the suggestions above seem possible such as writing a dynamic recompiler, surely there will be another coder out there willing to give you a hand. Dont give up, I believe in you.
    before writting a re-compiler, i think it should be possible to improve this emulator by rewritting partially the CPU emulation (it's not really well optimized). May be also using another version of gcc, because i can win / loose up to 10% depending if gcc succeed to find a good way to compile the big switch case statement for the ARM instruction decode ...
    here is my blog !

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoks rule
    The more you fail, the more you have a chance that it will work in the end.

I don't think it's the end.

even zx-81 picked up the source and improved it. so even if zx will stop on this emu, someone else will pick up his source and improve it more and more.
    gba-emulation is a too big thing to die. sooner or later we will have a fullspeed emu, i'm sure.

And actually i guess, zx won't completely quit on this project. maybe it's the end of 3 releases a week

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information