Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico DS Update

Blog Entries

NDS Puerto Rico DS Update

A new release of the board game for the Nintendo DS by johanb123, heres the details:

Here it is - the first successfully tested multiplayer implementation. There are still plenty of glitches to be smoothed out, but I did get through most of a four player game (two humans, two AIs). You must have your connection saved to the WFC settings (with Mario Kart DS or any other official wifi game - yeah, it's a pain - sorry), and it will occasionally crash while obtaining an IP address...so if you get a red screen before the game starts, just try again. I know it's pretty weak, but I did promise something this weekend, so here it is.

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

Great release, I will try

It snags a DHCP IP address every time for me, but when it connects to the server to look for players it just sits there on 'socket created' or something like that.
    I guess no one else is on.
    And pressing any other button at the main screen causes it to crash to a red screen

Quote Originally Posted by iball
    It snags a DHCP IP address every time for me, but when it connects to the server to look for players it just sits there on 'socket created' or something like that.
    I guess no one else is on.
    And pressing any other button at the main screen causes it to crash to a red screen
    I can't seem to reproduce the crash on mine - if you can give me the PC: 0xhhhhh from the red screen I can maybe see what it's doing there. As far as it just hanging when the socket's been created, it *should* clear the screen and tell you how many players it's waiting for. If it doesn't get that far, something else is going wrong. If you've got devkitarm, you could try running the server on your local machine and see if it connects that way. Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you get it working.

Quote Originally Posted by johanb123
    I can't seem to reproduce the crash on mine - if you can give me the PC: 0xhhhhh from the red screen I can maybe see what it's doing there. As far as it just hanging when the socket's been created, it *should* clear the screen and tell you how many players it's waiting for. If it doesn't get that far, something else is going wrong. If you've got devkitarm, you could try running the server on your local machine and see if it connects that way. Thanks for the feedback, and I hope you get it working.
    It's a 'Guru Meditation Error!' and the PC is: 0200279C at address 02BBB834.
    I get to it by pressing the A button at the main screen where you setup the options before going online.
    That's on a DS Lite with FlashMe v7 running from a Supercard mini-SD.

Quote Originally Posted by iball
    It's a 'Guru Meditation Error!' and the PC is: 0200279C at address 02BBB834.
    I get to it by pressing the A button at the main screen where you setup the options before going online.
    That's on a DS Lite with FlashMe v7 running from a Supercard mini-SD.
    Hah! I was using an initialized variable there. I wonder how many other seemingly random crashes fixing that will take care of. MANY thanks, man.

Quote Originally Posted by johanb123
    Hah! I was using an initialized variable there. I wonder how many other seemingly random crashes fixing that will take care of. MANY thanks, man.
    Just make sure to give wraggster a copy of the new version so he can update his post with it...don't want him giving out the BUGGY version now, do we?
    Or you could include it as an attachment here.
    If I find any more bugs in the newer version - which I don't have yet - then I'll report it here.

So..ummm..where's the updated version with the bug fixed?

It's at the same spot: http://lpd.ath.cx/pronds.zip - I haven't updated the source zip, but the binary should always have the latest working build. I tried uploading it here, but apparently I'm too new a member or something. I'll probably shoot a message to wraggster when I get off work this evening so he can update his local version as well. Also, I've been having frequent brief power outages, so if the server is down, bear with it...Anyway, hope that fixes some of the weirdness both of us have been having. Thanks again!

Edit: It just occurred to me that you may be running a local server, and would thus need the source to rebuild it. The new source is now up athttp://lpd.ath.cx/pronds-src.zip .

Ok, the new version works just fine against AI players, no remote, and pressing the start button. No more red screen of death (RSOD) when pressing any of the buttons.
    Good work on squashing the bugs FAST as well as producing a quality game...now I need to run off and learn how to play this dman thing...looks complicated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information