Thread: PlayStation Network Users Reporting Hacked Accounts [Follow Up Story]

Blog Entries

ps3 PlayStation Network Users Reporting Hacked Accounts [Follow Up Story]

Those of you who have been following this story [LINK] regarding our Ironstar comrade Dom Guerrera’s PlayStation Network account being hacked; this is a fully detailed version of his situation, along with another PlayStation Network user that has reported a similar story. The previous post involving Dom’s PlayStation Network account being somehow hacked never detailed his situation in full, I made brief reference to it as a warning.

On Saturday April 17th Dom received a chain message from a friend on the PlayStation Network. The message that he received contained a URL to a PSN code generating website, which promised free content from the PlayStation Store. Dom DID NOT, and didn’t have any intentions to visit the PSN code generating website. The next day at about 10 AM EST, while at work Dom received multiple emails that confirmed purchases made through his PlayStation Network account, although he did not purchase anything. There was absolutely no person using Dom’s PlayStation 3, nor does anyone else have his account information. When he finally got home from work he immediately contacted Sony PlayStation customer support and checked the status of his PlayStation Network account, on his account multiple purchases of PSP titles were made, random PSP demos were queued to his transactions as well. Dom does not own a PSP. The purchases made on his PlayStation Network account totaled an outrageous $350, as his credit card was charged every dime. As you would expect; Dom was outraged. He contacted his credit card representative and reported the situation, although he is yet to receive any money back from the purchases made on the PlayStation Network account.

Like Dom, I’ve spoken to another user on the PlayStation Network that has reported almost the exact situation involving PSN chain letters and the hacking of his account. In his situation he was sent chain letter on PSN containing the PSN code generator website’s URL. Again, he also did not visit the website. In brief details the user told me that his credit card was charged multiple times for PSP titles, demos were queued to his account as well (similar to Dom), the purchases made on his account totaled enough to cause his credit card to bounce. He also does not own a PSP.

The two stories posted on CVG and Destructiod are inaccurate. Dom Guerrera did not visit any phishing scam website.

Unfortunately we haven’t received any official word from Sony regarding this matter; as usual we’ll keep you updated. If you have noticed suspicious activity on your PlayStation Network account recently, please let us know in the comments below.

*Update*
    We have just received word from Sony's PlayStation Network investigation team; Dom's account was indeed hacked. According to Sony, Dom's PlayStation Network account was accessed from an unknown IP address that purchased loads of unauthorized content from the PlayStation Store. Sony also reimbursed Dom's credit account with half of the money he was charged. The situation is still being investigated. We will give you a final update when the situation is resolved.

http://www.ironstarmovement.com/prof...network-users/

DCEmu Newbie

I got the same message on my psn account from a friend in my list, I immediately changed my password on the official sony playstation website and removed my credit card details on my ps3. So far I haven't got any problems or purchases being made. I also immediately deleted the person from my friends list (didn't know him-her anyway... ) and deleted the message just to be sure. So I hope nothing else will happen.

Also everyone who reads this, make sure you have a solid password like: opelfjgu990nahdbd_cj_-Lusns or something like that. Do not use stupid passwords like 12345

I have multiple psn accounts for usa, europe, china, japan and taiwan and my japanese account had been hacked a long time before. Someone somehow changed my password. Do not know how but I guess I just was using a moronish stupid password so please don't!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
    Last edited by retrorom; April 25th, 2010 at 18:22.

Thread Information